Calculating Acceleration in Different Positions Using Newton's 2nd Law

• Thread starter Stargate
  • Start date
In summary, a disagreement between a student and their teacher regarding the answer to a physics problem is presented. The student is seeking help in finding their acceleration at different positions while falling out of a stationary helicopter, using Newton's 2nd law. However, the teacher's answer differs from the student's and they are unsure if they are correct or not. The student's calculations and equations are also questioned, with the possibility of a misunderstanding between pounds and kilograms.
Stargate
Hey, my teach and I have a disagreemnt on the answer. Can you help us out?

If I would to jump out of a stationary helicopter, various stages of fall are shown in positions a to f. Using Newton’s 2nd law. A= Fnet/m= W-R/m

Find my acceleration at each position. My mass is 100 kg so my weight is a constant 1000N. Air resistance ® varies with speed and cross-sectional area as shown.
(Sorry guys, but I can’t get the diagram up)

Position a. R=0; W=1000N, my acceleration would be 20m/s squared, 10m/s squared.

Position b. R= 400; W= 1000, my acceleration would be 12m/s squared, 6m/s squared.

Position c. R= 1000N; W= 1000N, my acceleration would be 0m/s squared,0m/s squared.

Position d. R= 1200N; W= 1000N, my acceleration would be –4m/s squared, -2m/s squared.

Position e. R= 2000N; W=1000N, my acceleration would be – 20 m/s squared, –10m/s squared.

Position f. R= 1000N; W= 1000N, my acceleration would be 0m/s squared, 0m/s squared.

My answer is underline. My teacher’s is in bold. Am I right or wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd like to offer some help if I can, but I can't quite decipher your post. Could you:

1. Clear up the meaning and/or form of your equations. I can see A = F/m, but what's the second equation? It's jammed up against the first and I see two equals signs. Are you asserting that A = W-R/m? If so what's R? I see a little "registered trademark" symbol in your post, but only once.

2. I see no bold/underlined answers as your last sentence describes.

3. Finally, I quote you here, "If I would to jump out of a stationary helicopter...find my acceleration at each position." I'm curious why your acceleration isn't consistenly negative, and for that matter almost constant in magnitude. Air resistance would change the net acceleration of gravity a bit, but not by that much until you reach really fast speeds...

Sorry about the mix-up. Please view the attachment

Attachments

• Answer distpue.doc
    19.5 KB · Views: 277
Hey, a little help here! Pretty Please

Can anyone help me out with this?

The only reasonable explanation i could come up with is that the teacher thinks you weigh 50Kg. :bugeye:

Daniel.

PS.Are u given the height from which the jump occurs??

Stargate, are u falling vertically? Is your fall in a vertical motion? Or does it take a projectile motion?

Or Dex, the teacher might think that Stargate meant to say 100 pounds and not 100 kg :)

Stargate,

Regardless of your weight, in postion a there is no air resistance (R=0) so your acceleration should be g or about 10m/s^2 as you say. But further down, your acceleration becomes negative, meaning your velocity is decreasing. I can't see why that would happen.

I don't understand this:
"Position a. R=0; W=1000N, my acceleration would be 20m/s squared, 10m/s squared."

What are the two "accelerations"?

Zaimeen said:
Or Dex, the teacher might think that Stargate meant to say 100 pounds and not 100 kg :)

[tex] 100 pounds\sim 45.3 Kg\neq 50Kg [/tex]

Daniel.

PS.I guess the teacher is stupid...It happens... :grumpy:

dextercioby said:
[tex] 100 pounds\sim 45.3 Kg\neq 50Kg [/tex]

Well, roughly 50kg :approve:

1. What is an answer dispute?

An answer dispute is a disagreement over the accuracy or correctness of an answer provided to a question. It typically occurs when two or more people have different interpretations or evidence to support their answer.

2. How can I resolve an answer dispute?

To resolve an answer dispute, it is important to calmly and respectfully discuss the differing opinions and provide evidence or reasoning to support your answer. It may also be helpful to seek the opinion of a neutral third party or conduct further research.

3. What should I do if I am involved in an answer dispute?

If you are involved in an answer dispute, it is important to remain calm and respectful in your interactions with others. It may also be helpful to provide evidence or reasoning to support your answer and be open to considering other perspectives.

4. Is it common for answer disputes to occur in scientific research?

Yes, answer disputes are common in scientific research as different scientists may have varying interpretations of data or evidence. This can lead to healthy debates and further investigation, ultimately contributing to the advancement of knowledge in the scientific community.

5. How can answer disputes be beneficial in the scientific community?

Answer disputes can be beneficial in the scientific community as they can lead to further investigation and the consideration of different perspectives. This can ultimately result in a more comprehensive understanding of a topic and potentially lead to new discoveries or advancements in the field.