Photoelectric Effect and intensity of light

In summary: Thanks for the help!In summary, according to this conversation, increasing the frequency of photons will cause the current measured in a circuit connected to a photoelectric set up to decrease.
maxbur
OK, so i have a question about the nature of light, in the context of the photoelectric effect.

So when photons are incident on a metal, given that they have a high enough frequency they can cause electrons to be emitted from the metal. Now i know that intensity of light is to do with the amplitude, and energy is to do with the frequency (E=fh).

Apparantly, when the frequency (thus energy) of the incident light is increased, and intensity is kept constant, the current measured in the circuit connected to the photoelectric set up decreases. Why is this?

The only thing i can think of is that by increasing the energy of the photons, if the intensity is kept constant, the number of photons would have to decrease (which explains the lower current), but again, I don't know why this is?

Thanks for any help, the internet is dreadful for finding such answers :)

Physics news on Phys.org
If the frequency of the light is increased, the photon energy is increased, so if the power per unit area incident on the metal is unchanged then the number of photons incident per second (photon flux) must be proportionally reduced. The quantum nature of the photon in this experiment means a single photon (with sufficient energy) releases a single electron, so fewer incident photons means fewer released electrons.

Thanks :) so just to double check that I've understood, youre saying that intensity=power per unit area. And since power=energy per second, the factors affecting power (thus intensity) are both the frequency of the photons and the number of photons, right?

Intensity has lots of meanings and can often depend on what field you're studying. When I say it that's what I mean - wattage of incident radiation per unit area. 2nd question: yes, that's it.

The photoelectric effect is a phenomenon where electrons are emitted from a metal surface when it is exposed to light. This effect is dependent on the frequency of the incident light, as you have mentioned. The energy of a photon is directly proportional to its frequency, so when the frequency of the incident light is increased, the energy of the photons also increases.

Now, the intensity of light is related to the number of photons hitting a surface per unit time. This means that when the intensity is kept constant, the number of photons hitting the surface remains the same. However, as the frequency (and thus energy) of the photons increases, the energy of each individual photon is also increased. This means that the energy of the photons is now high enough to overcome the binding energy of the electrons in the metal, causing them to be emitted.

In other words, when the frequency of the incident light is increased, the energy of each individual photon is also increased, allowing them to eject more electrons from the metal surface. This leads to a decrease in the number of electrons available to flow in the circuit, resulting in a decrease in the measured current.

It is important to note that the intensity of light does not directly affect the energy of the photons, only the number of photons hitting the surface. So even though the intensity is kept constant, the energy of the photons can still vary based on their frequency.

I hope this helps to clarify the relationship between the photoelectric effect and the intensity of light. Keep exploring and asking questions – that's what science is all about!

1. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is the phenomenon in which electrons are emitted from a material when it is exposed to light of a certain frequency. This was first discovered by Albert Einstein in 1905.

2. How does the intensity of light affect the photoelectric effect?

The intensity of light does not directly affect the photoelectric effect. However, increasing the intensity of the light source will result in more photons being emitted, which in turn can increase the number of electrons ejected from the material.

3. What is the relationship between the frequency of light and the photoelectric effect?

The frequency of light is directly related to the energy of the photons that it emits. In the photoelectric effect, only photons with a frequency above a certain threshold can eject electrons from a material. Increasing the frequency of light will result in more energetic photons, which can eject electrons with more energy.

4. How does the material of an object affect the photoelectric effect?

The material of an object can affect the photoelectric effect in several ways. The work function, or the energy required to eject an electron from the material, can vary depending on the material. Additionally, different materials may have different thresholds for the frequency of light required to eject electrons.

5. Can the photoelectric effect be explained by classical physics?

No, the photoelectric effect cannot be explained by classical physics. The effect was initially a mystery, as classical physics predicted that increasing the intensity of light would eventually eject an electron, regardless of the frequency. It was not until Einstein's explanation using quantum mechanics that the effect could be fully understood.