Exploring the Boundaries of Qualia: Frank Jackson's Perspective

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jackson
In summary: Thanks, Les! I appreciate your input. In summary, Frank Jackson says that there are certain features of bodily sensations and perceptual experiences that no amount of purely physical information includes. He distinguishes between simple awareness of sensations and the qualia aspect which is what those sensations "are like" to the experiencer. He talks about sensory deprivation devices and meditation, and says that they offer some clue as to what is still present as consciousness when you eliminate all the internal "noise."
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Frank Jackson on "qualia"

In "Epiphenomenal Qualia", when Frank Jackson describes qualia he says he thinks there are “certain features of the bodily sensations especially, but also of certain perceptual experiences, which no amount of purely physical information includes.”

My question is: what is the difference between these "bodily sensations" and "perceptual experiences" he refers to? It seems to me that a bodily sensation IS a perceptual experience. :confused:

I would love an example of the difference if anyone has one.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
OOBE.. very unphysical.

Math Is Hard said:
In "Epiphenomenal Qualia", when Frank Jackson describes qualia he says he thinks there are “certain features of the bodily sensations especially, but also of certain perceptual experiences, which no amount of purely physical information includes.”

My question is: what is the difference between these "bodily sensations" and "perceptual experiences" he refers to? It seems to me that a bodily sensation IS a perceptual experience. :confused:

I would love an example of the difference if anyone has one.

Thanks!

He seems to be distinquishing between simple awareness of sensations, and the qualia aspect which is what those sensations "are like" to the experiencer. First he says, "Clearly the same style of Knowledge argument could be deployed for taste, hearing, the bodily sensations . . ."

And then he says, ". . . and generally speaking for the various mental states which are said to have (as it is variously put) raw feels, phenomenal features or qualia."

Yet he goes on to seemingly blur his own distinctions by saying, "The conclusion in each case is that the qualia are left out of the physicalist story."

Les Sleeth said:
He seems to be distinquishing between simple awareness of sensations, and the qualia aspect which is what those sensations "are like" to the experiencer. First he says, "Clearly the same style of Knowledge argument could be deployed for taste, hearing, the bodily sensations . . ."

And then he says, ". . . and generally speaking for the various mental states which are said to have (as it is variously put) raw feels, phenomenal features or qualia."

Yet he goes on to seemingly blur his own distinctions by saying, "The conclusion in each case is that the qualia are left out of the physicalist story."

Thanks, Les. I think I understand a little better. I guess it's like the difference between the simple awareness of a tickling sensation and the experience of "what it is like to be tickled".

Chronos said:
OOBE.. very unphysical.

Out Of Bovine Experience? Completely physical! :biggrin:
(Just kidding.)

We actually talked a little bit about that subject in class - specifically is it possible to imagine a completely non-sensory conscious experience? Most people brought up OOBEs as an example, but I think it's more interesting to imagine what it would be like if your senses were taken away one by one and you reduced to nothing but a "thinking thing" as Descartes would say. What would your experience be like then? You would still have your imagination and your memories and you would have to live entirely inside of them I suppose.

Math Is Hard said:
I think it's more interesting to imagine what it would be like if your senses were taken away one by one and you reduced to nothing but a "thinking thing" as Descartes would say. What would your experience be like then? You would still have your imagination and your memories and you would have to live entirely inside of them I suppose.

Sensory deprivation devices offer some clue, as does the meditation I practice which also can subdue even thinking and imagination. It is suprising what is still present as consciousness when you eliminate all the internal "noise."

What is "qualia" according to Frank Jackson?

Qualia, according to Frank Jackson, are the subjective experiences or sensations that we have, such as the taste of chocolate or the color red. They are the raw feelings or "what it is like" to experience something, and they cannot be fully understood or explained by physical or scientific terms.

Why is Frank Jackson's view on qualia important?

Frank Jackson's view on qualia is important because it addresses the mind-body problem and the question of consciousness. His argument, known as the "knowledge argument," suggests that there are aspects of our experiences that cannot be fully explained by physical or scientific terms, and therefore, there may be more to consciousness than just brain activity.

What is the "Mary's Room" thought experiment by Frank Jackson?

The "Mary's Room" thought experiment is a hypothetical scenario created by Frank Jackson to illustrate his argument about qualia. It involves a scientist named Mary who knows everything there is to know about the physical nature of color, but has never experienced color herself. The thought experiment raises questions about whether Mary would learn anything new when she finally experiences color for the first time.

What is Frank Jackson's stance on the relationship between the mind and the body?

Frank Jackson's stance on the relationship between the mind and the body is known as dualism. He argues that there are two separate entities - the physical body and the non-physical mind - that interact with each other. He believes that qualia, or subjective experiences, are a property of the mind and cannot be reduced to physical processes.

What are some criticisms of Frank Jackson's views on qualia?

Some criticisms of Frank Jackson's views on qualia include the possibility of scientific explanations for subjective experiences in the future, the difficulty of defining and measuring qualia, and the question of whether qualia can exist without a physical brain. Others argue that his views lead to a dualistic perspective, which goes against scientific principles and is difficult to prove or disprove.