Any type of material that expands with electricity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of finding a material that expands or contracts with the addition of electricity, with specific mentions of memory metals, piezoelectric materials, and quartz. The conversation also briefly touches on the use of magnets and coils to create displacement, but the focus remains on finding a liquid with this property.
goleynik
Is there any type of liquid or solid, or any material that will expand with the addition of electricity, or vice versa?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
goleynik said:
Is there any type of liquid or solid, or any material that will expand with the addition of electricity, or vice versa?

Welcome to the PF.

Have you looked at "memory metals" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shape-memory_alloy

piezoelectric materials. even quartz has this property and its used in crystal oscillators for electronic applications.

I have read about the smart metals but I was looking for something that does not need to be heated.

and for the quartz how much does it actually expand when the current is applied?

goleynik said:
I have read about the smart metals but I was looking for something that does not need to be heated.

and for the quartz how much does it actually expand when the current is applied?

Not much: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piezoelectricity#Actuators

If you want some real expansion/displacement, how about using a magnet and a coil? That is how speakers turn electric current into displacement...

Yea but I was really looking for some type of liquid.

Know of any?

1. How does a material expand with electricity?

When electricity is applied to a material, the atoms within the material vibrate at a higher frequency, causing the material to expand. This expansion is due to the increase in kinetic energy of the atoms, which causes them to push against each other and take up more space.

2. What types of materials expand with electricity?

Materials that have a high coefficient of thermal expansion, such as metals, typically expand with electricity. However, certain polymers and ceramics can also exhibit expansion with electricity.

3. Can electricity be used to control the expansion of a material?

Yes, by adjusting the amount of electricity applied to a material, the expansion can be controlled. This principle is utilized in devices like thermostats or bimetallic strips, where the expansion of a material due to electricity is used to trigger a desired response.

4. What are the practical applications of materials that expand with electricity?

Some practical applications include temperature sensors, actuators, and pressure sensors. These materials can also be used in electronic devices to create precise movements or to detect changes in temperature or pressure.

5. Is it possible for a material to expand with electricity and contract with heat?

Yes, certain materials exhibit expansion with electricity and contraction with heat due to their properties and compositions. These materials are called negative thermal expansion (NTE) materials and have unique applications in fields such as aerospace and electronics.