Exploring the Possibility of Negative Current in Simple Circuit Designs

• Thread starter sherrellbc
  • Start date
In summary: The text describes a circuit with two resistors and a battery. The text says that if the voltage at the red node is lower than the battery voltage, current will flow in the direction of the arrow on the diagram. In summary, this circuit can never be negative because the voltage at the red node always exceeds the battery voltage.
sherrellbc
I've seen this simple circuit design many times when the text is illustrating different points. Sometimes, again for illustrative purposes, the text may say that I3 is negative. When would this ever happen? If I3 were negative, the node between components 3 & 4 would have to be lower than ground, and, further, the red extraordinary node would have to be lower yet. It seems intuitive to me to conclude that the voltage at the node in red will never be at a lower potential than ground in this design. If I3 is negative, it would seem obvious to me that I2 must also be negative (with polarity defined as is it) - but when could this be the case?

Perhaps I3 could be negative if different node is selected as the reference, but as it stands I cannot see a way that this claim would ever be true.

ciHq6ix.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
IN my mind, I3 can never be negative in this circuit.

Lets say the battery is 20 volts and 10 volts drop across that first resistor. YOu are then left with 10 volts at the red node. No matter how you slice it, current is going to travel in the shown direction just because that voltage will always be higher than the negative side of the battery.

You could say that I3 is negative if the arrow pointed the other way, but that's it.

psparky said:
IN my mind, I3 can never be negative in this circuit.

Lets say the battery is 20 volts and 10 volts drop across that first resistor. YOu are then left with 10 volts at the red node. No matter how you slice it, current is going to travel in the shown direction just because that voltage will always be higher than the negative side of the battery.

You could say that I3 is negative if the arrow pointed the other way, but that's it.

Eactly. Although, I did not intend to post this picture implying the elements are resistors. I had forgotten that european resistor symbols are rectangles.

sherrellbc said:
Eactly. Although, I did not intend to post this picture implying the elements are resistors. I had forgotten that european resistor symbols are rectangles.

Doesnt matter, I just pictured them as loads.

You might be able to stop the current with a capacitor or diode, but the current can't reverse direction in I3.

Unless they're using electron flow for current.

If you are doing a node analysis for the red dot - it is ( may be ) simpler to have all of the currents flowing into - or out of the red dot - EG I1+I2+I3 = 0A ... so you may draw the arrows how you like.

My point being - that the issue of positive or negative is a matter of perspective.

sherrellbc said:
... I did not intend to post this picture implying the elements are resistors...
Is there any restriction on what they could be? If element 4 is a voltage source, a sufficiently charged capacitor, or a current source, it is possible for i3 to be negative.

My guess would be it is simply to demonstrate that, even if you initially assume I3 in wrong direction, Kirchoff's principles will cause the arithmetic solution give you the correct answer - a negative number for I3.

My high school electronics teacher pounded this point into us boys so we'd develop rigor (and faith) in our math .

old jim

1. When is this ever true?

This question is asking for specific instances or scenarios when a certain statement or idea is true. It could refer to a scientific theory, a mathematical equation, or a general observation about the world.

2. How can we determine when something is true?

This question is asking for the process or methods that can be used to determine the truth of a statement or idea. It could involve experimentation, data analysis, or logical reasoning.

3. Is truth relative or absolute?

This question is asking about the nature of truth and whether it is subjective or objective. It is a philosophical question that has been debated by scientists and philosophers for centuries.

4. Can something be partially true?

This question is asking if a statement or idea can have elements of truth while also containing some inaccuracies. It is possible for something to be partially true, as new evidence or perspectives can change our understanding of a concept over time.

5. How does the concept of truth impact scientific research?

This question is asking about the role of truth in the scientific process and how it influences the development and validation of theories and experiments. Scientists strive to uncover and understand truths about the natural world through rigorous and objective research methods.