Electronmagnetic signals and properties

In summary, the main factors that determine whether a signal can be used for broadcasting or only for point to point communication are frequency and the energy associated with it. Generally, signals with higher frequencies, such as infrared, are limited to point to point communication due to their inability to pass through walls. Microwave signals, which can penetrate walls, are commonly used for both broadcasting and point to point communication. However, as the frequency increases, the beamwidth of the signal becomes narrower, making it more suitable for point to point communication. There is no specific demarcation line between broadcasting and point to point communication, as it ultimately depends on the type of antenna used.
medwatt
Hello,
I want to know what factors determine that a signal (radio wave, microwave, infra red) cannot be use for broadcasting but only point to point communication. I know that it has to do with frequency and the energy associated with it but cannot seem to have a concrete reason because of those in the microwave range.
For example I know that infra red which has highest frequency of the other two mentioned is only utilised in point to point communication as they cannot pass through walls and so it cannot be transmitted uni directionally.
Microwaves which start from 2 GHz can sometimes be used for broadcasting as in the case of FM or Television where the signals can penetrate through walls and at the same time for point to point between communication towers. Why then when considering the ku band ground station antennas send microwave signals to satellites which are in geostationary orbit using point to point communication (12GHz) and the satellite can then broadcast at 11GHz.
I really want to know the demarcation line where broadcasting is no longer an option but point to point !
Thank You

Engineering news on Phys.org
hi there :)

terresterial TV and FM radio is transmitted at much lower freqs than 2GHz, in bands from 50 MHz to ~ 700 MHz is the main region

Microwave communications freq's from 1GHz and up become more line of sight because those frequencies have a higher absorption rate as the freq increases. It only takes a wall or 2 or a few wet trees to stop or at least severely attenuate a 2.4GHz signal.

We use microwave links for line of sight point to point links because they offer very narrow beanwidths when used with dish and other directional antennas. In my activities, I have experimented on freq's up to 47GHz and as an example at 24GHz and using a 1 metre diameter dish, the -3dB beamwidth of the radiated signal is only 5 - 6 degrees VERY narrow. This has great advantages in point to point systems as there is very little power wasted as there is little spreading out of the signal.

Why then when considering the ku band ground station antennas send microwave signals to satellites which are in geostationary orbit using point to point communication (12GHz) and the satellite can then broadcast at 11GHz.

not to sure what you meant there, can you make your question/comment clearer :)

I really want to know the demarcation line where broadcasting is no longer an option but point to point !
Thank You

there is no real demarcation. any signal in the microwave bands can have a broad beamwidth ... omni-directional, or it can be point to point ... it depends on the type of antenna used.

Dave

What is an electromagnetic signal?

An electromagnetic signal is a type of energy that travels through space in the form of electric and magnetic waves. It includes a wide range of frequencies, from radio waves to gamma rays.

How does an electromagnetic signal differ from other types of signals?

Unlike other signals, electromagnetic signals do not require a medium to travel through. They can travel through a vacuum, making them extremely versatile and useful in various applications.

What are the properties of electromagnetic signals?

Electromagnetic signals have several properties, including wavelength, frequency, amplitude, and polarization. These properties determine the characteristics of the signal and how it behaves.

What are some real-world applications of electromagnetic signals?

Electromagnetic signals have countless applications, including communication technologies such as radio, television, and cell phones. They are also used in medical imaging, remote sensing, and many other industries.

How do we detect and measure electromagnetic signals?

Electromagnetic signals can be detected and measured using various tools, such as antennas, sensors, and receivers. These devices convert the signals into a form that can be analyzed and measured by scientists.