Understand Degenerative Breaking & Heat Dissipation

• Thread starter liv
  • Start date
In summary, Liv is asking for general information on degenerative braking and why the electrical power generated is dissipated as heat instead of being fed back into the electrical supply. Ivan explains that this process is typically done using variable frequency drives and braking resistors, and that it is commonly used in industrial motor applications. He also mentions that this process is similar to how electric cars regenerate power for braking. There is a limit to how quickly a battery can be safely charged, which is why not all of the energy from braking can go towards charging the batteries. There are also new battery technologies that can improve this process. Liv asks for a simpler explanation, to which Ivan apologizes and explains in simpler terms.
liv
Another one of those holiday assignments we all love.

would just like some genreal info on degenerative breaking... and why the electrical power that is generated is dissapated as heat into the resistors instead of being fed back into the electrical supply...?
thank you!

Liv

nec hostium timete
nec amicum reusate

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I couldn't help laugh at this one.

Liv, you might have more success if you look for regenerative braking. Good luck :smile:

liv said:
would just like some genreal info on degenerative breaking... and why the electrical power that is generated is dissapated as heat into the resistors instead of being fed back into the electrical supply...?
thank you!

Liv

nec hostium timete
nec amicum reusate

This is typically done using variable frequency drives [VFDs], which are an electronic motor control device. These can generate specific waveforms over a range of frequencies, and they control the flow of current using, in addition to other components like diodes, IGBTs, or isolated gate bipolar transistors. Also, about 20% of the rated power of the motor can be dissipated in the motor itself, and any additional braking can be accomplished by adding braking resistors. Of course, the total braking capacity is limited by the size of the motor.

Ivan Seeking said:
This is typically done using variable frequency drives [VFDs], which are an electronic motor control device.
Hi Ivan;
You're talking about the kind of brake you find on power saws and whatnot, right? Not vehicles, which usually do regenerate. If so, thanks for the info. I never knew how they work.

Danger said:
Hi Ivan;
You're talking about the kind of brake you find on power saws and whatnot, right? Not vehicles, which usually do regenerate. If so, thanks for the info. I never knew how they work.

This is used throughout industry for most motor applications that require speed control or braking; not for a handheld saw, but say for a large saw in a mill, a press, conveyor, fan etc in a factory, and for applications ranging from fractional to 5000 Hp. Regeneration of power for braking in electric cars should work about the same. In standard industrial motors, the power is dissipated as heat in the motor and braking resistors. In an automobile, the power would be used to recharge the batteries.

Edit: Note also that even in a car where the braking power is used to charge batteries, the I2R losses in the motor are unavoidable.

Last edited:
The simple answer is that there is a limit to how quickly a battery can be safely charged. In hybrid cars, my understanding is that the energy that could be recovered from braking is usually generated too quickly for all of it to go into charging.

I know there were shuttle busses using this pretty effectively at LAX. I don't know how efficient they were, but the operating costs were reduced enough to justify the investement.

New battery technology promises to improve the situation in one respect, but obviously this won't work with fuel cells.

thanks for that brewnog! lol

and for ivan seeking, would you mind dumbing down what you said by about 10 fold cause I'm no that bright and struggle to get the intial concept. What u said kinda just messed with my head...sorry,

Liv

Nec Hostium Timete
Nec Amicum Reusate

1. What is degenerative breaking?

Degenerative breaking is a type of braking system that converts the kinetic energy of a moving object into electrical energy. It is commonly used in electric or hybrid vehicles to slow down the vehicle and recharge the battery at the same time.

2. How does degenerative breaking work?

Degenerative breaking works by using an electric motor to slow down the rotation of the wheels. When the brakes are applied, the motor runs in reverse, acting as a generator and converting the kinetic energy of the vehicle into electrical energy.

3. What are the benefits of degenerative breaking?

Degenerative breaking has several benefits, including increased energy efficiency, reduced wear and tear on the brakes, and the ability to recharge the battery while driving. It also helps to reduce emissions and improve overall vehicle performance.

4. What is heat dissipation in relation to degenerative breaking?

Heat dissipation is the process of dissipating or releasing heat generated during the braking process. In degenerative breaking, the electric motor acts as a generator and converts the kinetic energy into electrical energy, resulting in less heat being generated compared to traditional braking systems.

5. Are there any limitations to degenerative breaking?

While degenerative breaking has many benefits, it also has its limitations. One major limitation is that it is not as effective at slowing down a vehicle at high speeds compared to traditional brakes. It also has limited effectiveness in cold weather conditions.