How to calculate the torque of slider crank?

In summary, the book you need to calculate torque for a slider crank system is "Elements of Vector Analysis" by William C. Thurston.
Rachel_S
As shown in this picture, if Fb, l (length of connecting rod), r (radius of crank) and θ is given, how to calculate the torque the slider crank?
I know it can be a simple question for Mechanical Engineering majors, but I am an Electrical Engineering major and have very little knowledge in Mechanical Engineering. I am working on a project related to slider crank systems and really need to know this. It would be great if you could tell me which book introduces slider crank torque calculation too.
Thanks!

Attachments

• slider crank.png
    slider crank.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 4,074
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Rachel_S! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Torque = Fdsinθ, or F x d (same thing).

So calculating torque isn't really engineering, it's geometry.

You need a book on geometry, or on trigonometry, or maybe on the elements of vectors (particularly the cross product).

Rachel_S said:
I know it can be a simple question for Mechanical Engineering majors ...
Rachel_S: No, it is not necessarily a simple question. You must work out the geometry, trigonometry, and algebra, to derive the answer. I currently obtained the following torque, as a function of theta.

T(θ) = [Fb/(L^2)]*(r*sin θ)*{ L^2 - (r*sin θ)^2 + (r*cos θ)*[L^2 - (r*sin θ)^2]^0.5 }​

Here is another way to obtain the same answer, using asin(). Let phi(θ) = asin[(r/L)*sin θ]. Then,

T(θ) = r x F = Fb*cos[phi(θ)]*r*sin[θ + phi(θ)].​

Last edited:
nvn - excellent & thorough solution & response. Not nearly as simple as one (1) would like to think! All trig & algebra and all that, however, real super easy to get all messed up somewhere.

Hey ... hope you can help here. We've got a very similar mechanism that we need to determine the applied thrust to overcome a known torque across some 120 degrees or so of crank rotation with an added twist. Our mechanism is an "Offset Slider-Crank Mechanism" instead of the more common "On Center (No Offset) Slider-Crank Mechanism" shown.

How does that affect the equations above?

If it matters, the slider will be offset to the right of the crank pivot AND offset far enough to allow the slider to pass over and beyond the crank pivot and continue to the "dead mans" position and then continue to travel to rotate the crank back fifteen (15) to thirty (30) degrees or so. L is something like 1-3/4 x r and offset is something like 1-1/4 times r if that helps any.

We've got the translational & rotational stuff all figured out in Excel & MatLAB, verified by AutoCAD layout. Pretty sweet actually ... two (2) solutions ... one (1) solving for slider stroke with given crank rotation, the second solving for crank rotation given slider stroke. So we already have any and all angles we could ever dream of, just can't quite get out of the "brain dead" mode to find the solution, especially don't know quite what to do with the offset.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. We're in real life here in real time here, so we'll need to consider friction of slider as well both knuckles (joints) ... not to be confused with this knucklehead!

Any thoughts around a similar solution to this? My poor little AND old pea brain is not getting this one done w/o asking for some help!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. It is typically measured in units of newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

How do I calculate torque?

The formula for torque is: torque = force x distance. This means that torque increases as the force applied to an object increases, or as the distance from the point of rotation increases.

What is a slider crank mechanism?

A slider crank is a mechanical linkage that converts linear motion (from a piston or slider) into rotational motion (from a crankshaft).

What are the components of a slider crank mechanism?

A slider crank mechanism typically consists of a slider, a connecting rod, and a crank. The slider is the component that moves in a linear motion, the connecting rod connects the slider to the crank, and the crank rotates to convert the linear motion into rotational motion.

How do I calculate the torque of a slider crank mechanism?

To calculate the torque of a slider crank mechanism, you will need to know the force applied to the slider, the distance from the point of rotation to the point where the force is applied, and the length of the crank. Once you have these values, you can use the formula torque = force x distance x sin(theta), where theta is the angle between the force and the crank arm.