Flywheel KERS CVT: Maintaining Constant Power Output

• Thread starter bartrocs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flywheel
In summary, the "flybrid" mechanical flywheel based KERS system used in F1 cars stores energy and can provide a constant 60kW of power for 6.67 seconds when recovered. The CVT system is used to control the energy going into the flywheel and its discharge, using a torque control and high performance slip clutch to maintain a smooth power output.
bartrocs
I've been reading a lot on the "flybrid" mechanical flywheel based KERS system which was developed for use on F1 cars. I understand the basics of how energy is stored in this system, however, when it is recovered, it is said to provide a constant 60kW of power for 6.67 seconds. I'm confused on how the flywheel is used to provide this constant energy output because to my understanding, as the flywheel slows down, the power that it provides must also decrease. I assume that the CVT is somehow used to maintain this constant power output, but I have no idea how the CVT would change its gear ratios in order to keep the power at 60kW. Could someone please explain?

Engineering news on Phys.org
bartrocs said:
I've been reading a lot on the "flybrid" mechanical flywheel based KERS system which was developed for use on F1 cars. I understand the basics of how energy is stored in this system, however, when it is recovered, it is said to provide a constant 60kW of power for 6.67 seconds. I'm confused on how the flywheel is used to provide this constant energy output because to my understanding, as the flywheel slows down, the power that it provides must also decrease. I assume that the CVT is somehow used to maintain this constant power output, but I have no idea how the CVT would change its gear ratios in order to keep the power at 60kW. Could someone please explain?

Links? :smile:

berkeman said:
Links? :smile:

http://www.flybridsystems.com/F1System.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtGB173abNA
http://www.racecar-engineering.com/articles/f1/flywheel-hybrid-systems-kers/

These are some that I found through Google. There are others but they all contain essentially the same info. I'm on mobile and don't know how to make the links clickable. Sorry

Note that those numbers are based on the regulations set up by F1. 400 kJ per lap at a maximum of 60 kW.
So, in order to achieve a maximum power boost, one can utilize those 400 kJ over a minimum time-frame of 6.67 seconds (400 kJ / 6.67 s = 59.97 kW). They use a CVT on the driveline to control both how the energy goes into the flywheel and how it is discharged.

Exactly how they are used to maintain smooth power output depends on the exact system, but basically the CVT system uses the torque control (or gear-ratio-changer-thingy-mechanism, as I can't come up with a better name) spring to change the output torque, and a high performance slip clutch to vary output rotational speed.

Last edited:

What is Flywheel KERS CVT?

Flywheel KERS CVT stands for Flywheel Kinetic Energy Recovery System with Continuously Variable Transmission. It is a technology that uses a flywheel to store energy from a vehicle's braking system and then releases that energy to maintain a constant power output during acceleration.

How does Flywheel KERS CVT work?

Flywheel KERS CVT works by converting the kinetic energy generated during braking into rotational energy that is stored in a flywheel. When the vehicle accelerates, the flywheel releases this stored energy through a continuously variable transmission, providing a constant power output to the wheels.

What are the benefits of Flywheel KERS CVT?

Flywheel KERS CVT offers several benefits, including improved fuel efficiency, reduced emissions, and increased power and torque. It also helps to extend the life of the vehicle's braking system by reducing the strain on traditional brake components.

What are the maintenance requirements for Flywheel KERS CVT?

Flywheel KERS CVT requires regular maintenance to ensure its proper functioning. This includes regular checks of the flywheel and transmission components, as well as replacing any worn or damaged parts. It is also important to keep the system clean and free of debris to prevent any malfunctions.

Is Flywheel KERS CVT suitable for all types of vehicles?

Flywheel KERS CVT is suitable for a wide range of vehicles, including cars, trucks, buses, and even trains. However, the effectiveness of the system may vary depending on the vehicle's weight and driving conditions. It is best suited for vehicles that require frequent acceleration and braking, such as stop-and-go city driving.