What is the meaning of an integrable model being SU(3) invariant?

• Thread starter Maybe_Memorie
  • Start date
In summary, the algebraic Bethe ansatz is a useful tool for studying SU(3)-invariant integrable models, which are those that remain unchanged under transformations from the SU(3) group.
Maybe_Memorie
I was reading this paper and it'll form the basis of my undergrad thesis. The algebraic Bethe ansatz for scalar products in SU(3)-invariant integrable models

I have a year to start and complete it. However my knowledge of Lie algebra is very lacking at this point. Could someone please explain to me what it means for an integrable model to be SU(3) invariant?

I know that the elements of SU(3) are 3 x 3 unitary matricies with determinant equal to 1, so I'm assuming it means that something in the model is invariant under multiplication by these matricies?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In general, an SU(3)-invariant integrable model is one where the Hamiltonian and other observables remain unchanged after applying a unitary transformation from the SU(3) group. This means that the model is invariant under rotations, reflections and other transformations of the SU(3) group. The algebraic Bethe ansatz is a method used to calculate scalar products in these models. It involves writing down the Hamiltonian in terms of generators of the SU(3) group and then solving certain differential equations to get the energy eigenvalues and eigenstates of the system.

1. What is the algebraic Bethe ansatz?

The algebraic Bethe ansatz is a mathematical method used to solve certain types of quantum systems, particularly those involving integrable models. It is based on the concept of Bethe states, which are eigenstates of certain operators that commute with the Hamiltonian of the system. By using the algebraic Bethe ansatz, one can find the eigenvalues and eigenstates of such systems.

2. How does the algebraic Bethe ansatz work?

The algebraic Bethe ansatz involves constructing a set of Bethe equations, which are polynomial equations that relate the eigenvalues of the Hamiltonian to the parameters of the system. These equations are then solved to find the eigenvalues, and the corresponding eigenstates can be determined using the Bethe ansatz wave function.

3. What types of systems can be solved using the algebraic Bethe ansatz?

The algebraic Bethe ansatz is most commonly used to solve integrable models, such as the Heisenberg spin chain and the Hubbard model. It can also be applied to other quantum systems, including those with boundary conditions and those in higher dimensions.

4. What are the advantages of using the algebraic Bethe ansatz?

The algebraic Bethe ansatz is a powerful and versatile method for solving quantum systems. It allows for the calculation of exact eigenvalues and eigenstates, which can provide valuable insight into the behavior of the system. It is also relatively straightforward to apply, making it a useful tool for studying a wide range of systems.

5. Are there any limitations to the algebraic Bethe ansatz?

While the algebraic Bethe ansatz is a powerful method, it does have some limitations. It is generally only applicable to integrable systems, which are somewhat rare in nature. It also becomes increasingly difficult to use as the size of the system increases, making it less suitable for larger systems. Additionally, the algebraic Bethe ansatz may not provide a complete understanding of the system and may require additional techniques to fully describe its behavior.