Hermitian conjugate of the annihilation operator

In summary: I just needed to see why it was needed. Thanks.In summary, the question asked for the Hermitian conjugate of the sum a(x)+ipx. The solution involves the inner product integral and is explained in terms of the operators being Hermitian.
dyn
Hi
I have been looking at the solutions to a past exam question. The question gives the annihilation operator for the harmonic oscillator as a= x + ip ( I have left out the constants ). The question then asks to calculate the Hermitian conjugate a(dagger).
I thought to find the Hermitian conjugate I just change the sign of the imaginary component and this does give the right answer and most books just state this as the conjugate but the exam solution goes on to use inner products and integration by parts. I'm confused !

Physics news on Phys.org
dyn said:
I have been looking at the solutions to a past exam question. The question gives the annihilation operator for the harmonic oscillator as a= x + ip ( I have left out the constants ). The question then asks to calculate the Hermitian conjugate a(dagger).
I thought to find the Hermitian conjugate I just change the sign of the imaginary component and this does give the right answer and most books just state this as the conjugate but the exam solution goes on to use inner products and integration by parts.
I'd guess that you're also required to show that x and p are self-adjoint operators. (If they're not, then the simple recipe you described is not applicable.)

strangerep said:
I'd guess that you're also required to show that x and p are self-adjoint operators. (If they're not, then the simple recipe you described is not applicable.)

No ,that wasn't part of the question. It just wanted the inner product integral. I have looked in several books and they just state the 2 operators as a and a(dagger) with the minus sign as though its obvious. Is it obvious or does it need to be calculated ?

dyn said:
No ,that wasn't part of the question. It just wanted the inner product integral. I have looked in several books and they just state the 2 operators as a and a(dagger) with the minus sign as though its obvious. Is it obvious or does it need to be calculated ?
It depends on exactly what was being asked. You're still being a bit vague, so I don't know what level of answer is appropriate here.

Maybe you should post the exact question in the "Advanced Physics" homework forum? (If you want to work through it, that is.)

The question just gave the annihilation operator and asked to calculate the Hermitian conjugate. I have the solution which involves the inner product integral and I understand the solution. I just wanted to see why it needed to be calculated when it could just be stated. My understanding is as follows - to form the Hermitian conjugate of a sum : apply the following to each term ; complex conjugate any complex constants and take the Hermitian conjugate of any operators. If the operators are Hermitian they remain unchanged.
On a sidenote I previously asked about the 1-D momentum operator : -i(h bar)d/dx . In this case to form the conjugate I change -i to +i and take the conjugate of d/dx which is -d/dx thus showing that the operator is Hermitian.
Have i got this all right ?

You don't need a particular realization of the Hilbert space (such as L^2(R)), you can work directly from the abstract theorems of functional analysis. If [x,p] = 1 on their common domain of x and p, then

[tex] a^{\dagger} = (x+ip)^{\dagger}\supset x^{\dagger} + (ip)^{\dagger}\supset x - ip [/tex]

Hi ,
Thanks. I think you are telling me that I am right but I don't know functional analysis

1. What is the Hermitian conjugate of the annihilation operator?

The Hermitian conjugate of the annihilation operator, denoted as a^†, is the operator that creates a quantum state from the vacuum state. It is the adjoint operator of the annihilation operator, a, and is represented by the complex conjugate of the transpose of the operator's matrix.

2. How is the Hermitian conjugate of the annihilation operator used in quantum mechanics?

The Hermitian conjugate of the annihilation operator is used to calculate expectation values of observables in quantum mechanics. It is also used in the formulation of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and in the quantum harmonic oscillator.

3. What are the properties of the Hermitian conjugate of the annihilation operator?

The Hermitian conjugate of the annihilation operator has the following properties: (1) (a^†)^† = a, (2) (a^†)^n = (a^n)^† for any positive integer n, (3) (a^†)a = aa^† + 1, and (4) the commutator [a, a^†] = 1.

4. How does the Hermitian conjugate of the annihilation operator relate to the creation operator?

The Hermitian conjugate of the annihilation operator is closely related to the creation operator, a^†. In fact, a^† is the Hermitian conjugate of a. Together, they form a pair of operators known as the creation and annihilation operators, which are used to describe the creation and annihilation of particles in quantum mechanics.

5. What is the physical significance of the Hermitian conjugate of the annihilation operator?

The Hermitian conjugate of the annihilation operator has physical significance as it represents the creation of a particle from the vacuum state. In quantum mechanics, particles are created and destroyed through the action of operators, and the Hermitian conjugate of the annihilation operator plays a crucial role in this process.