How do I balance net ionic equations for ionic compound reactions?

In summary, the conversation involves a discussion about writing net ionic equations for various reactions. The first equation involves lead nitrate and sodium chloride, and there is difficulty in balancing the equation. In the second equation, sodium hydroxide is added to ammonium chloride, and there is a question about the strength of electrolytes involved. In the third equation, carbon dioxide is bubbled into a solution of calcium hydroxide, and there is confusion about the correct net ionic equation. The expert suggests using carbonic acid instead of CO2 and explains that carbon usually does not form ionic compounds.
amcavoy
I need to write the NIE for these:

1. "0.1M lead nitrate, [itex]Pb\left(NO_3\right)_2[/itex] and 1.0M sodium chloride, [itex]NaCl[/itex]."

2. "6M sodium hydroxide, [itex]NaOH[/itex], is added to 0.5M ammonium chloride, [itex]NH_4Cl[/itex]."

For the first one, I set up the following equation (not balanced):

[itex]Pb\left(NO_3\right)_2+NaCl\rightarrow PbCl+NaNO_3[/itex]

...however, I cannot seem to balance this. If I make it [itex]2NaNO_3[/itex], then I have to do the same to [itex]NaCl[/itex] on the other side, which in turn makes me have to do the same thing to [itex]Pb\left(NO_3\right)_2[/itex], and I keep going around in circles. Does anyone have a suggestion on this?

On the second problem, I set it up like this:

[itex]NaOH+NH_4Cl\rightarrow NaCl+NH_4OH[/itex]

Would I be correct to say that [itex]NH_4OH[/itex] isn't a strong electrolyte (because only NaOH, KOH, Ba(OH)2, and Ca(OH)2 are)? And as far as [itex]NH_4Cl[/itex] goes, I cannot tell if it is a strong electrolyte or not. For this molecule, how would I determine this?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
usually in a net ionic equation, there are ions (at least that's how I remember writting them out).

On the first equation,
lead starts out with a +2 charge, but then changes to a +1 on the product side. This is strange, since lead doesn't usually ever have a +1 charge, it likes +2 or +4. Not to mention, I think the propper formula for Lead Chloride is PbCl2, meaning that is does indeed carry the +2 charge all the way through the reaction. Are you sure it is suppose to be PbCl ?

In the second reaction, NaOH, NH4Cl, NaCl ad NH4OH are all very soluble and will break into ions in water.
I am not absolutely sure, but I don't think NH4OH is a string electrolyte, as it does not dissassociate nearly as much as other ionic compounds do, but I do know that NaOH and NaCl are strong electrolytes.

Thanks for the reply. I must have overlooked the charge. I figured those to out, but now on my last, I have this:

"Carbon dioxide is bubbled into an aqueous solution of 1.0M calcium hydroxide."

My equation is as follows:

[itex]CO_2+2Ca\left(OH\right)_2\rightarrow C\left(OH\right)_4+Ca_2O_2[/itex]

...after doing the work out, I come up with this net ionic equation:

[itex]C^{+4}+4OH^{-}\rightarrow C\left(OH\right)_4[/itex]

Did I do this correctly?

I am not sure if this helps, or is even steering you into the correct direction, but when you bubble CO2 into water, you usually get carbonic acid. Is it the carbonic acid or the CO2 that reacts with the calcium hydroxide? You might want to think about that, too.

apmcavoy said:
"Carbon dioxide is bubbled into an aqueous solution of 1.0M calcium hydroxide."

My equation is as follows:

[itex]CO_2+2Ca\left(OH\right)_2\rightarrow C\left(OH\right)_4+Ca_2O_2[/itex]

...after doing the work out, I come up with this net ionic equation:

[itex]C^{+4}+4OH^{-}\rightarrow C\left(OH\right)_4[/itex]

Did I do this correctly?
No apm. Notice that the oxidation state of Ca in Ca2O2 is +1. This is not possible.

Also, if you write the equation with H2CO3 (as suggested by scrappychic) instead of CO2, it's easier to see that this is nothing but a neutralization reaction.

One thing that might help you in the future is to know that carbon usually does not form ionic compounds (examples are beyond the scope of what you are doing in this problem). The oxygen does not dissociate from carbon, because CO2 is covalent. Even though you may not have heard of carbonic acid, know that covalent compounds do not dissociate into ions, so you will have to find another method to get the overall reaction.

Last edited:

1. What is a net ionic equation?

A net ionic equation is a chemical equation that shows only the species that are involved in a chemical reaction and excludes any spectator ions. Spectator ions are ions that do not participate in the reaction and remain unchanged.

2. How do I write a net ionic equation?

To write a net ionic equation, first write the balanced molecular equation for the reaction. Then, identify and write the complete ionic equation by separating all soluble ionic compounds into their respective ions. Finally, cancel out any spectator ions to write the net ionic equation.

3. Why do we use net ionic equations?

Net ionic equations are used to simplify and focus on the essential components of a chemical reaction. They help to better understand the actual chemical reaction that is taking place by eliminating any spectator ions.

4. What are spectator ions?

Spectator ions are ions that do not participate in a chemical reaction and remain unchanged. They appear on both the reactant and product side of the equation and do not contribute to the overall chemical reaction.

5. How can I identify spectator ions?

Spectator ions can be identified by comparing the reactants and products in a chemical equation. If an ion appears on both sides of the equation and is not involved in any chemical change, it is a spectator ion. Additionally, spectator ions are typically found in ionic compounds that are soluble in water.