Mixed questions [Functions and Sequenzes & Series]

In summary: A inverse has to be reflected in the line Y=X and it has to pass the horizontal line test ie only have one possible x value for each y value??How am I supposed to know if g meets the condition?In summary, the function does not meet the condition for an inverse to exist.
Calavera
Hi there,
I have a math test tomorrow and I have some questions from our books review sets that I haven't been able to solve yet. For now I only have questions on functions and Sequenzes & Series but it's possible that I might ad a few more later during the day. Here it goes...
---Functions---
1) I have the folowing graph, and with its help I'm supposed to find the domain and range. I can easily find the domain, but not the range. I don't actually know how to do it...
http://www.viitanen.se/q1f.gif
2) I plot the graph g(x)=x^2 + 6x + 7
Then I'm supposed to: "explain why g for x ≤ -3 has an inverse function g^-1".
To be honest I don't even know how to start...
3) Given h(x)=(x-4)^2 +3 where x≥3 I'm supposed to find the defining equation of h^-1.
I started on this by chaning the variables (changin place with y and x), and I finaly got it to: y^2 - 8y +16 = x-3. Ok, I can simplyfy it more but what should I do to the y^2? Should I use the abc formula, should I factorize it?
---Sequences & series---
1) Find the first term of the sequence 5, 10, 20, 40 which exceeds 10 000.
I wrote up the formula (5(2^n -1))/1 and plotted it on my gdc, then I got the answer that it was supposed to be U11, and when I put that into my formula and I got a right answer, 10235. The thing is that the key to the book says: "t12=10240"!
2)6000€ is invested, at 7% p.a. What is the compound interest after 5 years if the interest is compounded a) quaterly b) monthly.
I have really tried to solve this several times but haven't succeded. I don't simply know what to do...please help.
Ok, I know that there are a lot of problems but I would be really happy if someone could help me...soon if possible (test tomorrow). Thank you in advance!:smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For #2, what condition must a function meet for an inverse to exist? Does g meet this condition for x <= -3?

edit: sign error

- Kamataat

Last edited:
A inverse has to be reflected in the line Y=X and it has to pass the horizontal line test ie only have one possible x value for each y value??
How am I supposed to know if g meets the condition?

Functions
1) what is the min value y can have ?
What is the max value y can have ?
The difference gives you the range of y.

3) don’t square out the (y-4) term. Instead take the square root of the other term (put a square root sign over it) and find y.

Sequences and Series
1) Did you notice that your answer and the book’s answer were out by 5, which is the value of your first term ?
Your expression for the nth term was out. You had Un = 5(2n – 1). It should have been Un = 5(2n-1)

2) the formula needed for compound interest is,

Pn = P0(1 + a)n

Where P0 is the original principle,
Pn is the principle after n intervals of getting interest added,
a is the interest rate for one particular time interval,
n is the number of time intervals.

You have two time intervals of interest. Monthly and quarterly. Get the right value of a for each time interval.

Calavera said:
A inverse has to be reflected in the line Y=X and it has to pass the horizontal line test ie only have one possible x value for each y value??
How am I supposed to know if g meets the condition?

The function is strictly decreasing for x < -3.

- Kamataat

What is the difference between a function and a sequence?

A function is a mathematical relationship between two variables, where each input has a unique output. A sequence, on the other hand, is a list of numbers or objects in a specific order. In a function, the input can be any number or value, while in a sequence, the input must follow a specific pattern or rule.

How do I determine the domain and range of a given function?

The domain of a function is the set of all possible inputs or values that can be plugged into the function. The range is the set of all possible outputs or results of the function. To determine the domain, look for any restrictions or limitations on the input values. To determine the range, evaluate the function for different input values or use a graphing calculator.

What is a series in mathematics?

A series is a sum of the terms of a sequence. It is written using sigma notation, where the first term is shown and the pattern for the following terms is indicated. Series are used to represent infinite sums, and they can be used to approximate the value of a function or to find the area under a curve.

How do I find the general term of a sequence?

The general term of a sequence is a formula that gives the value of any term in the sequence based on its position. To find the general term, look for a pattern between the position of the term and its value. This pattern can be described using algebraic expressions, such as using the term number as the variable.

What is the difference between an arithmetic and geometric sequence?

In an arithmetic sequence, each term is obtained by adding a fixed number to the previous term. For example, 2, 5, 8, 11, ... is an arithmetic sequence with a common difference of 3. In a geometric sequence, each term is obtained by multiplying the previous term by a fixed number. For example, 2, 6, 18, 54, ... is a geometric sequence with a common ratio of 3.