Enlarging and Reducing Devices on Xerox Machines - Explained

• Thread starter franz32
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Machines
In summary, some xerox machines have special devices to produce enlarged and reduced copies of text. These devices work by scanning the image at a high resolution and then printing at the desired size, similar to printing digital photos. The magnification is done digitally, and you can learn more about it at www.howstuffworks.com. It was believed that xerox machines used lenses for magnification, but newer models may have different methods.
franz32
there is something I want to know... Some xerox machines are equipped with these special devices to produce enlarged and redced copies of a text.
WHat are these devices and how do they work?

Science news on Phys.org
I don't know a big lot about xerox's but I very much doubt that they use lenses. My guess is that they work by scanning the image at a high resolution and then printing at the size you specify, very much in the same way that you would print out the pictures from your digital camera in whatever size you want. The actual magnification is done digitally.

visit www.howstuffworks.com , they will explain it a lot better than abybody here.

Nice! :smile: Apparently they actually use lenses to magnify! I thought that doing the magnification digitally would be more practical than using lenses. I wonder if the newer ones still do the magnification the same way.

1. How do enlarging and reducing devices work on Xerox machines?

The enlarging and reducing devices on Xerox machines use a combination of optical lenses and mirrors to adjust the size of the document being copied. The lenses and mirrors reflect and redirect the light from the original document onto the photoreceptor drum, which then transfers the image onto the copy paper at a larger or smaller scale.

2. Can any document size be enlarged or reduced on a Xerox machine?

Yes, most Xerox machines have the capability to enlarge or reduce documents within a certain range. This range varies depending on the specific machine, but it typically ranges from 25% to 400% of the original size.

3. Are there any limitations to using the enlarging and reducing devices on Xerox machines?

Yes, there are a few limitations to using these devices. The quality of the enlarged or reduced document may be affected if the original document is of poor quality or if the machine is not maintained properly. Additionally, the maximum and minimum size limits may vary depending on the machine model.

4. How can I make sure the enlarged or reduced document is an accurate representation of the original?

To ensure the accuracy of the enlarged or reduced document, it is important to use a high-quality original and regularly clean and maintain the machine. It may also be helpful to preview the document on the machine's display before making the final copy.

5. Are there any other features or settings I should be aware of when using the enlarging and reducing devices on Xerox machines?

Some Xerox machines may have additional settings or features related to the enlarging and reducing function, such as magnification presets or automatic reduction options. It is important to refer to the machine's user manual or contact a Xerox representative for more information on these features.