Residential Structural Engineering: Beam Calculator for Sawn Lumber

In summary, the speaker has recently begun working on residential structural engineering and realized they needed a better beam calculator. They are currently working on a web-based calculator that can handle different types of lumber and will add additional features in the future. Feedback is welcomed and the calculator can be found at a specific website.
medeek
I've recently started doing a lot more residential structural engineering for local clients and the first thing that I realized was that I was lacking a good beam calculator. I do have a number of spreadsheet calculators but I've found them hard to program and once I do have them programmed any changes are tedious since the equations in Excel are hard to follow (I know VBA can be used in macros).

To that end, I've started working on a web based beam calculator that will be able to handle sawn lumber, glulam and structural composite lumber, programmed in Perl/HTML/Javascript.

It is still a work in progress however the "sawn lumber" option should now give a full output. I will be adding in the PDF output as time allows and also the other beam types listed above.

Currently the selection of lumber species is also somewhat limited however adding new species is simply a matter of adding the appropriate values from the NDS into the database. If there is a particular species or grade you would like added please advise.

Any feedback, positive or negative is always appreciated.

The beam calculator is currently located here: http://design.medeek.com/resources/beam/beam_calculator.pl

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

Nice script. You might get a bit more response on places like eng-tips if you want more feedback. I'd say the ability to add point loads would be nice, you probably don't see too many of those in residential properties though.

1. What is a beam calculator for sawn lumber?

A beam calculator for sawn lumber is a tool used by residential structural engineers to determine the appropriate size and placement of beams when constructing or renovating a residential building. It takes into account factors such as the load that the beam will bear, the type of lumber being used, and the span or distance between supports.

2. How does a beam calculator for sawn lumber work?

A beam calculator for sawn lumber uses mathematical equations and algorithms to analyze the various factors involved in determining the size and placement of beams. It takes into account the properties of the lumber being used, the dimensions of the beam, and the load it will bear to provide accurate calculations.

3. Why is a beam calculator for sawn lumber important for residential structural engineering?

A beam calculator for sawn lumber is important because it ensures the structural integrity and safety of a residential building. By accurately determining the size and placement of beams, it helps to distribute the load evenly and prevent any potential structural failures or safety hazards.

4. What are the benefits of using a beam calculator for sawn lumber?

Using a beam calculator for sawn lumber can save time and money in the construction or renovation process. It provides accurate calculations, eliminates the need for trial and error, and ensures that the beams are strong enough to bear the required load without being overbuilt.

5. Are there any limitations to using a beam calculator for sawn lumber?

While a beam calculator for sawn lumber is a useful tool, it is not a substitute for the expertise and experience of a professional residential structural engineer. It is important to have a trained professional review the calculations and make any necessary adjustments to ensure the safety and structural integrity of the building.