Anyone interested in a study group for 8.04 Quantum Physics I from MIT

In summary, a group of individuals were interested in going through the MIT OCW introductory quantum class 8.04 to prepare for the upcoming MIT MOOC 8.05x. However, due to busy schedules, the plan to do one lecture a week did not work out. One person is currently going through the course on their own and may post their notes for discussion. Another individual has already taken the course but plans to review using the MIT courses.
homer
MIT OCW recently posted their introductory quantum class 8.04 at

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-04-quantum-physics-i-spring-2013/

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in going through the course. I'm primarily studying it to get ready for the MIT MOOC 8.05x Quantum Physics II coming to edx in February, which I can't wait to take. As of now the plan is to do one lecture a week (so half the speed of the real course) since everyone has jobs, school, family, etc that get in the way of trying to do it at an MIT student's pace. If anyone is interested, we have a phpBB forum setup for discussion of 8.04, though there is almost no traffic there right now.

http://804quantum.forumotion.com/

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

I started it out with a few of us who take math and physics MOOCs on coursera and edx, but everyone's too busy and it looks like no one else wants to do the course. I'm just doing it on my own and I think I'll come here when I have questions. I have been writing PDF notes (for some reason writing notes really helps me learn), so I might post those later on, but right now I'm only two lectures into a 24 lecture course. I think I'm probably just going to take that forum down.

I've taken the class, but I plan to go through and review QM1 and QM2 using the MIT courses. My work schedule is really erratic, so I may end up doing a lot for a couple of weeks, then nothing for a couple. I am, by the way, using the book by Liboff.

I would highly encourage anyone interested in quantum physics to take advantage of this opportunity and join the study group. 8.04 is a highly regarded course from MIT and it is a great resource for anyone looking to learn about quantum physics. The fact that it is being offered for free through MIT OCW makes it even more accessible to a wider audience. Additionally, the upcoming MOOC 8.05x on edx is a great way to further your understanding of quantum physics and I would highly recommend taking it as well.

Joining a study group can be a very beneficial way to learn and discuss complex topics like quantum physics. It allows for a deeper understanding of the material and the opportunity to ask questions and engage in discussions with others who are also interested in the subject. The phpBB forum set up for discussion of 8.04 is a great platform for this and I would encourage anyone interested to join and participate in discussions.

I would also like to mention that quantum physics is a highly complex and challenging subject, so it is important to approach it with dedication and a willingness to put in the time and effort to fully understand it. It is not something that can be learned quickly or easily, but with the resources and support available through this study group, it is definitely worth the effort. Best of luck to anyone joining the group and I hope you find it a valuable learning experience.

1. What is the purpose of a study group for 8.04 Quantum Physics I from MIT?

A study group for 8.04 Quantum Physics I from MIT is intended to provide a collaborative and supportive environment for students to review and discuss course material. It can also help students stay on track with their studies and improve their understanding of complex topics.

2. Who can join the study group for 8.04 Quantum Physics I from MIT?

The study group is open to anyone who is interested in learning and discussing concepts related to quantum physics. It is not limited to students from MIT or those enrolled in the 8.04 course. All levels of experience and backgrounds are welcome.

3. How often does the study group for 8.04 Quantum Physics I from MIT meet?

The frequency of study group meetings can vary depending on the group's preferences and schedules. It is recommended to meet at least once a week, but the group can decide on a more frequent or less frequent schedule.

4. Is there a cost to join the study group for 8.04 Quantum Physics I from MIT?

No, the study group is free to join. There are no fees or expenses associated with participating in the group.

5. What materials are needed for the study group for 8.04 Quantum Physics I from MIT?

Participants are encouraged to bring their course materials, such as textbooks, notes, and assignments, to the study group. It may also be helpful to have a laptop or access to online resources for reference and discussion.