Explicit form of time evolution operator

In summary, the time evolution operator for Hamiltonians which are not constant in time can be written as a unitary operator, but only if the Hamiltonians at different times commute. If this is not the case, the operator can be obtained using the Dyson series or other representations such as the Magnus expansion. The proof for this relies on the fact that the power series is a unitary solution to the Schrodinger equation. However, when integrating, the exponential form no longer holds unless the Hamiltonians commute, which is why the time-ordering operator is introduced. This can be found in books by Rammer, Mahan, and Fetter and Walecka.
bluesunday
The time evolution operaton may be written formally as:

ddbf6e70688646a736bab03d869de7ca.png

This is an actual solution to:

2d3d85612b27b4ab3ba471c138b71cd1.png

only in the case that [H(t1),H(t2)]=0 (that is: the hamiltonian commutes in different instants of time) Of course, this includes the case of a time independent hamiltonian.

If this is not the case, the actual U(t) may be obtained with the Dyson series.

This is what is stated in Sakurai, for example. But I don't really understand WHY you cannot use the exponential form of U(t) in case the Hamiltonian doesn't commute at different times. I guess it may have something to do with its integrability, but I don't know.

Any hints?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you may try it out. Assume that you have H(t)=H_1 for 0<t<t_1 and H(t)=H_2 for t_1< t<t_2. For t>t_2, the time evoltion operator will be a product of two exponentials of the form you gave. Can you write it as a single exponential of an integral if H_1 and H_2 don't commute?

Btw. there are other representations than the Dyson series, e.g. the Magnus expansion.

No, of course you can't because the product of exponentials of two operators can't be written as the exponential of the sum unless the operators commute!

Thank you!

DrDu said:
Well, you may try it out. Assume that you have H(t)=H_1 for 0<t<t_1 and H(t)=H_2 for t_1< t<t_2. For t>t_2, the time evolution operator will be a product of two exponentials of the form you gave. Can you write it as a single exponential of an integral if H_1 and H_2 don't commute?

Yes, since it is a unitary operator, and any unitary operator can be written as the exponential of i times a self-adjoint operator. There are even explicit formulas for
the rsult, but they are in terms of infinite series, and not very useful.

Of course you can write it as a single exponential, but certainly not as the exponential of an integral over H(t).

The time evolution operator for Hamiltonians which are not constant in time is

[tex] U(t,t_0) = \mathcal{T}\exp\left(-\frac{i}{\hbar}\int_{t_0}^t dt' H(t')\right)[/tex]

where [tex]\mathcal{T}[/tex] is the time ordering symbol. This exponential is just a short-way of writing the following power series:

[tex]U(t,t_0) = 1 + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n!}\left(-\frac{i}{\hbar}\right)^n} \int dt_1\cdtos dt_n \mathcal{T}\left[H(t_1)\cdots H(t_n)\right][/tex]

This series is what's actually the time evolution operator. You can look it up in e.g. the books by Rammer, Mahan or Fetter and Walecka.

Again, the proof relies on the fact that this power series is a unitary solution to the Schrodinger equation.

I think DrDu is right, when you integrate you are sort of adding hamiltonians at different t's, and then the exponential form doesn't hold anymore unless they all commute.

bluesunday said:
I think DrDu is right, when you integrate you are sort of adding hamiltonians at different t's, and then the exponential form doesn't hold anymore unless they all commute.

...which is why the time-ordering operator is introduced. It takes care of that problem.

Right xepma :) Thanks to all of you!

xempa, yes, you can write it with time ordering, but this is nothing else than the Dyson series bluesunday mentioned in the first post.

What is the explicit form of time evolution operator?

The explicit form of time evolution operator is a mathematical expression that describes how a quantum system evolves over time. It is a unitary operator that can be used to calculate the state of a system at any given time, based on its initial state and the time elapsed.

How is the explicit form of time evolution operator derived?

The explicit form of time evolution operator is derived from the Schrödinger equation, which describes the evolution of a quantum system. By solving the Schrödinger equation, we can obtain the explicit form of the time evolution operator.

What are the benefits of using the explicit form of time evolution operator?

The explicit form of time evolution operator allows us to accurately predict the state of a quantum system at any point in time, which is essential for many applications in quantum mechanics. It also helps us understand the dynamics of a system and make predictions about its behavior.

Can the explicit form of time evolution operator be used for all quantum systems?

Yes, the explicit form of time evolution operator can be applied to any quantum system, regardless of its complexity. However, the calculations involved may become more challenging for larger and more complex systems.

Are there any limitations to the use of the explicit form of time evolution operator?

One limitation of the explicit form of time evolution operator is that it assumes the system is isolated and does not interact with its environment. In reality, most quantum systems are affected by external factors, and this can make the calculations more complicated.