Why Does Voltage Versus Energy Exchange in an Electromagnet Show a Linear Trend?

In summary, an experiment was conducted to determine the temperature reached by an electromagnet after 3 minutes of being placed in a constant volume of water. The change in temperature was measured and used to calculate the energy transferred using the equation Q=mcΔT. This process was repeated for different voltages and a linear trend was observed when graphing the joules exchanged against the voltage. It was initially thought that the trend would be parabolic based on Joule's First Law and Ohm's Law, but it is uncertain if Joule's Law is applicable in this case. Further explanation or confirmation of the observed linear trend is needed.
Da Apprentice
In order to determine the temperature that an electromagnet reached after a 3 minute period the electromagnet was placed in a constant volume of water. After 3 minutes the change in temperature of the water was measured and from this using the equation Q=mcΔT the energy in joules transferred was calculated. This same process was repeated for the same electromagnet functioning at a different voltage. Graphing the joules exchanged for each experiment against the voltage that the electromagnet was run at produced what appears to be a linear trend.

Why this trend occurred is unknown. It was thought that the trend would be parabolic due to the following;

Joule's First Law: Q=k*I^2*R

Ohms Law: V=I*R (hence I=V/R)

Substitution gives: Q=(k*V^2)/R

I'm not sure if joules law is the correct law to use in this case and so this is most likely why I'm wrong. Can anyone explain why the result would be linear or confirm that it should in fact have been parabolic.

Thanks
Z.C

Physics news on Phys.org
I have to tell you Da Apprentice:, you have asked a very complicated, multi-part question. It will be a lot of work for us to answer all parts. And our forum rules still apply, you have to do most of the work.

Good one Darren

But seriously can anyone explain why the result would be linear or confirm that it should in fact have been parabolic? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Z.C

Yes,

Thanks,
DDZ

Based on the information provided, it is likely that the linear trend observed in the graph is due to the relationship between the voltage and the energy transferred in the form of heat. Joule's first law states that the amount of heat produced in a conductor is directly proportional to the square of the current (I^2) and the resistance (R) of the conductor. However, in this experiment, the current remains constant while the voltage is varied. This means that the resistance of the electromagnet may also be changing with the different voltages, resulting in a linear relationship between the energy transferred and the voltage.

It is also possible that the linear trend is a result of the experimental setup, as the temperature change of the water may not accurately reflect the exact temperature of the electromagnet. Other factors such as the conductivity of the water and the surrounding environment may also affect the results.

It is important to note that the laws and equations mentioned in the post are theoretical and may not always perfectly apply to real-world situations. It is always important to conduct further experiments and analysis to fully understand and explain the observed trends.

1. What is a heating electromagnet trend?

A heating electromagnet trend refers to the increase in temperature of an electromagnet when an electrical current is passed through it. This phenomenon is commonly observed in engineering applications where electromagnets are used to generate heat.

2. How does a heating electromagnet work?

A heating electromagnet works by converting electrical energy into thermal energy. When an electrical current is passed through the wire of an electromagnet, the electrons within the wire start moving, creating a magnetic field. This movement of electrons also produces heat, which in turn increases the temperature of the electromagnet.

3. What factors affect the heating of an electromagnet?

Several factors can affect the heating of an electromagnet, including the strength of the electrical current, the resistance of the wire, and the material of the wire. The length and thickness of the wire can also play a role in the heating process.

4. What are the applications of heating electromagnets?

Heating electromagnets have a wide range of applications, including in industrial processes such as welding and heat treatment, in medical equipment such as MRI machines, and in everyday household appliances like toasters and hair dryers.

5. Are there any safety concerns with heating electromagnets?

Yes, there are some safety concerns with heating electromagnets. The heat generated by the electromagnet can cause burns if not handled properly. It is also important to ensure that the electrical current is not too strong, as this can lead to overheating and potentially cause a fire. It is essential to follow safety guidelines and handle heating electromagnets with caution.