Who do I hire for computer animation?

In summary, the person is looking for a 3D graphics artist or animator who can use programs like Cinema 4D, MAYA, or Softimage to create animations. They are unsure of what job title to search for and are wondering if there is a lot of freelance work available in this field. They also ask if they can find someone with the necessary skills for a lower cost than a Pixar employee.
jhe1984
Hi,

I am about to be looking for a person or person(s) who are able to use 3d graphics programs to create animations. I have Cinema 4D, so that's available, but what other programs will these people need? In fact, what job title am I even looking for? Animator? Graphics artist? I want someone(s) who can both model the models (err..) and turn them into film segments.

Beyond all that, is there a decent amount of freelance work in this field? Will I be able to find someone(s) with ability who is below the cost of a Pixar employee?

Thanks yall.

Computer science news on Phys.org
jhe1984 said:
Hi,
I am about to be looking for a person or person(s) who are able to use 3d graphics programs to create animations. I have Cinema 4D, so that's available, but what other programs will these people need? In fact, what job title am I even looking for? Animator? Graphics artist? I want someone(s) who can both model the models (err..) and turn them into film segments.
Beyond all that, is there a decent amount of freelance work in this field? Will I be able to find someone(s) with ability who is below the cost of a Pixar employee?
Thanks yall.

Why don't you farm it out to a company who does all that?

Ok sure, but what I'm wondering is even more basic than that: what am I looking for in the phone book?

Graphics company? Animation company? etc..

Also, I am guessing that these firms are geared toward for-hire service and would therefore be affordable. Is that correct?

A graphics artist who can create 3D sprites etc... Probably someone who is good with flash

Flash is no help in doing 3D stuff, its strength lies in 2D vector animations, For 3D stuff you'd use something like 3D Studio Max from www.discreet.com , or Cinema like the OP suggested.
For example, 3D studio max allows you to create 3D objects, place cameras around the world (moving cameras as well) and then you can just export as you wish, i played around with it before and got this far. I believe what you'll be paying for is really the 3D modeling. It requires some experience to model any real life object. If you're looking for very exact models then AutoCad can do this. You should know though that some companies have 3D scanners that just scan any object you want and this is by far a lot faster and probably cheaper. The fine arts department at my university has one of these, they're very cool. So you'd probably want not just a single person, but a small company doing this for you because they're likely to have all the tools you need (hardware).

Last edited:
You could try going on google and searching for spmething like "3D animation showreels" to view some peoples work.

The person you employ might not like cinema 4D they may use something else for there modeling/animation (such as maya, lightwave, 3DS, softimage etc). I don't know what you are planning on making but you will probably need some editing software like avid xpress or if they use mac final cut studio. Depending on how big what you are making is it might need to be sent off to be rendered when the animation is finished.

That is so :smile: . There is no tool within flash that can allow you to do pure 3D. You can emulate 3D using 2D graphics, actionscript and drawing methods, but it is complicated and not worth it. I have a lot of experience with flash and it is nowhere the tool you want to build 3D graphics with. There are plugins for 3DSMax and Plasma that export 3D rendered movies to flash, but it's all done in a 2D way. What sounds better, creating a 3D model with a program that has a fantastic 3D engine embedded in it awaiting commands or creating your own 3D engine with actionscript, and then pluguing in values into a matrix to try and model the real life object? If you need to model stuff you need something a lot more powerful than flash.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies yall. I think I'll check out the 3d graphics artists first and hear out their takes on the rendering.

jhe1984 said:
Hi,

Thanks yall.

MAYA and SoftImage will be two applications i'd recommend for animataors.

I agree I use both :-) I like Maya more but maybe that;s just because I animate in that software everyday... Softimage I have not used much of it but I like the non destructive work flow it has. This is a feature that no program utilizes now a days :-(

1. What qualifications should I look for when hiring a computer animator?

When hiring a computer animator, it is important to look for qualifications such as a degree in animation or a related field, proficiency in animation software and programming languages, a strong portfolio showcasing their skills, and experience in the industry. It is also beneficial to look for individuals who have a passion for animation and a strong eye for detail.

2. How do I determine if a computer animator has the necessary technical skills?

To determine if a computer animator has the necessary technical skills, you can ask specific questions about animation software and programming languages, request to see their portfolio, and even give them a small task or test project to complete. You can also ask for references from previous clients or employers to get a better understanding of their technical abilities.

3. What soft skills should I look for when hiring a computer animator?

In addition to technical skills, it is important to look for soft skills in a computer animator. This includes creativity, communication skills, teamwork, time management, and the ability to take direction and constructive criticism. These skills are crucial in the animation industry as it often involves working on projects with a team and meeting tight deadlines.

4. Is it necessary for a computer animator to have experience in a specific industry or niche?

While it is not necessary for a computer animator to have experience in a specific industry or niche, it can be beneficial depending on the project. For example, if you are hiring for a video game company, it may be advantageous to hire someone with experience in game animation. However, a skilled computer animator should be able to adapt to different industries and styles with their technical and creative abilities.

5. How important is a computer animator's portfolio in the hiring process?

A computer animator's portfolio is extremely important in the hiring process as it showcases their skills and experience. It allows you to see their style, range of abilities, and the quality of their work. A strong portfolio can also give insight into their creative process and how they approach different projects. It is recommended to thoroughly review a candidate's portfolio before making a decision to ensure their skills align with your needs.