Disadvantages of simple filters

• Thread starter electronic engineer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Filters
In summary: Active filters offer a number of advantages over simple filters, the most important of which is the ability to achieve high Q factors. This is important because it allows for more interesting filters, with more poles and zeros. Inductors are not generally used in audio filters because of the physical size required, but they can be simulated with an active circuit called a "gyrator."
electronic engineer
I was wondering about the disadvantages of the simple filters consisting of resistors and capacitors and use active filters instead of it?

what are the advantages of active filters over simple filters that make us use it?

what about using inductors for such purposes , i found that is omitted from such purposes, could anyone explain why?!

regards

Engineering news on Phys.org
There's people around here who are far more qualified to answer your questions, but when you're filtering (frequencies, anyway) you want to make some frequencies terribly apparent and totally omit others. If you've got some type of simulation program, like spice, simulate a simple filter circuit and analyze it v. frequency. You'll see its quite far from the total-on, total-off result you want. In fact, the response is sinusoidal, and there's no clear cutoff between accentuated frequencies and subdued ones.

This might be totally wrong.

To get more than a couple of poles and zeros (to increase the difference in gain between the passband and stopbands of your filter), you need to use active filters. There are three main topologies for active filters -- Butterworth, Cheby and Elliptical. Each topology has its strong and weak points, so you will choose which one to implement based on the requirements of your filter.

Iductors are generally not used in audio filters because of the physical size required. You can emulate an inductor with an active circuit called a "gyrator", so inductors are really not needed for most audio filter applications. The exception might be power audio applications, like audio speakers and crossover networks.

berkeman said:
To get more than a couple of poles and zeros (to increase the difference in gain between the passband and stopbands of your filter), you need to use active filters.

I'm sorry , but i really can't understand that point , could you clarify more please?!

thanks a lot!

Electronic Engineer: Perhaps you could give us a snapshot of your current education?

electronic engineer said:
I'm sorry , but i really can't understand that point , could you clarify more please?!

thanks a lot!
If possible, I'd recommend that you get a copy of "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill. It's an excellent introductory electronics book, with a little theory and lots of practical insights. Chapter 4 takes you from simple RC filters into active filters, and explains the tradeoffs between the different types.

seang said:
Electronic Engineer: Perhaps you could give us a snapshot of your current education?

sure, in fact I'm now studying electronic engineering 4'th year still undergraduated ...for me the problem is that our course is very weak , i have to absolutely depend on myself that's why I'm intending this wonderful forum to get answers and some guidance.
some of posts came out from our electronics labs , because i think that we take so strong practical and theoretical info comparing to our theoretical and practicall background...
I don't know exactly in which way the electronic engineer have to behave to make himself as strong base in electronics, is there any initial advise?!

I might not say many things , thanks for such interest and we could discuss more if you don't mind!

regards

Last edited:
in a word, unless you use both inductors and capicitors, you cannot get the Q needed for interesting filters if your components are just passive Rs and Cs. you need gain and feedback to get some decent Q factors.

ooops, i just realized how old this thread is.

sorry/

1. What are simple filters and how do they work?

Simple filters are a type of filtration system that removes particles and impurities from a liquid or gas by passing it through a porous material. They work by physically trapping larger particles while allowing smaller particles to pass through.

2. What are the disadvantages of using simple filters?

The main disadvantage of simple filters is that they are not effective at removing very small particles or dissolved substances from a liquid or gas. They also require frequent maintenance and replacement of the filter material. Additionally, simple filters can become clogged easily and may not be able to handle large volumes of liquid or gas.

3. Are there any health concerns associated with using simple filters?

In some cases, simple filters may not effectively remove harmful substances such as bacteria or viruses from a liquid or gas. This can pose a health risk if the filtered substance is consumed or inhaled. It is important to carefully consider the type and effectiveness of a filter before using it for a specific purpose.

4. Can simple filters be used for all types of liquids and gases?

No, simple filters are only suitable for removing larger particles and impurities from liquids and gases. They are not effective for filtering out dissolved substances or contaminants that are too small to be physically trapped by the filter material.

5. Are there any alternative filtration methods that may be more effective than simple filters?

Yes, there are many different types of filtration systems available, each with their own advantages and disadvantages. Some alternative methods include membrane filtration, activated carbon filters, and reverse osmosis. It is important to carefully consider the specific needs and requirements of your filtration process before choosing a method.