Probability Problem- im still stuck

In summary: The question asks for the probability that he takes sugar or milk or both, which is the probability of the union of the events E, F, and EF. Therefore, the solution is 0.805.
ruby_duby
Probability Problem- I am still stuck !

Hi i need help on the following question:

In a teashop 70% of customers order tea with milk, 20% tea with lemon and 10% with neither. of those taking tea with milk 3/5 take sugar, of those taking tea with lemon 1/4 take sugar, and of those taking tea with neither milk or lemon 11/20 take sugar. a customer is then chosem at random.

i need to find the probability that the customers take suggar or milk or both. i know that the answer is o.525 but i don't know how.

can anybody help me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
ruby_duby said:
Hi i need help on the following question:

In a teashop 70% of customers order tea with milk, 20% tea with lemon and 10% with neither. of those taking tea with milk 3/5 take sugar, of those taking tea with lemon 1/4 take sugar, and of those taking tea with neither milk or lemon 11/20 take sugar. a customer is then chosem at random.

i need to find the probability that the customers take suggar or milk or both. i know that the answer is o.525 but i don't know how.

can anybody help me please?

Try writing them in term of sets.

Have you done this before?

Let A represent the customers that order tea with milk.
Let B represent the customers that order tea with lemon.
Let C represent... and so on.

Then with the question you should write the answer in terms of sets. Then use the rules that follow to find the solution.

Not sure if you've done this before though.

This is what I get...

Define the events

E: he takes suggar
F: he takes milk
G:he takes lemon
H:he takes neither milk nor lemon

Then what you're looking for is

[tex]P(E\cup F\cup EF)=P(E)+P(F)+P(EF)-P(EF)-P(EFE)-P(FEF)+P(EFEF) = P(E)+P(F)-P(EF)[/tex]

You know that P(F)=0.7, P(G)=0.2, P(H)=0.1, P(E|F)=3/5, P(E|G)=1/4, P(E|H)=11/20.

Since {F,G,H} forms a partition of the fundamental set, P(E) = P(E|F)P(F)+P(E|G)P(G)+P(E|H)P(H) = 3/5(0.7)+1/4(0.2)+11/20(0.1)=21/40=0.525

P(EF)=P(F)P(E|F)=3/5(0.7)=21/50=0.42

So,

[tex]P(E\cup F\cup EF)=0.525+0.7-0.42=0.805[/tex]

Note that 0.525 is only the probability that he takes suggar.

1. What is the definition of probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood that an event will occur. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

2. How do you calculate probability?

Probability can be calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This is known as the classical definition of probability.

3. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on actual data collected through experiments or observations.

4. How can probability be used in real life?

Probability is used in various fields such as finance, sports, and weather forecasting. It can help us make informed decisions by predicting the likelihood of events occurring.

5. Can probability be greater than 1 or less than 0?

No, probability cannot be greater than 1 or less than 0. These values represent impossibility and certainty, respectively, and any probability must fall between these two values.