How can Kirchoff's rules be used to determine current values in a circuit?

Good job. In summary, using Kirchoff's rules and various combinations of equations, the solution for finding I1, I2, and I3 for the given circuit with E1 = 9 V, r = 1.5 ohms, R1 = 5 ohms, R2 = 15 ohms, and R3 = 22.75 ohms is I1 = 0.741 A, I2 = 0.345 A, and I3 = 0.396 A.
Azndude51

Homework Statement

Use Kirchoff's rules to determine I1, I2 and I3 for the following circuit: https://chip.physics.purdue.edu/protected/Prelab221img/e4pp2.jpg

E1 = emf = 9 V
r = internal resistance = 1.5 ohms
R1 = 5 ohms
R2 = 15 ohms
R3 = 22.75 ohms

Find I1, I2, I3

Homework Equations

V=IR
I(R1+R2) = V and Req = R1 + R2+ ... for resistors in series
I = emf/R1 + emf/R2 + ... and 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... for resistors in parallel
Krichoff's junction rule Iin-Iout = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I found I1 to be .741 A by using I=V/R with R being the calculated total resistance: (1.5 + 1/(1/22.75+ 1/20) = 12.14

Now I've been using various combinations of the equations above to get the other two I's but I can't seem to get a correct answer, can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
I found I1 to be .741 A by using I=V/R with R being the calculated total resistance: (1.5 + 1/(1/22.75+ 1/20) = 12.14
Correct

Now I've been using various combinations of the equations above to get the other two I's but I can't seem to get a correct answer, can someone point me in the right direction?
What exactly were you doing?
Note that I1 = I2 + I3

So if I1 = I2 + I3, shouldn't I2 = I1 - I3 = .741 - 9/22.75 = .345?

Yup, that's correct.

Last edited:
DARN IT, I got .345 for I2 when I first tried the problem, but when I submitted it (online) it was wrong, so I posted here. But when I submit it for I3, it is correct (and .396 is correct when I submit that for I2). I think they must've gotten switched. Thanks for the help though, ranger.

:rofl: I see what you mean. When I double checked them with the current divider rule, I noticed the same thing. Its just a small mix up, that's all.

1. What are Kirchoff's rules in circuits?

Kirchoff's rules, also known as Kirchoff's laws, are two fundamental principles that govern the behavior of electric circuits. They are the Kirchoff's current law and the Kirchoff's voltage law.

2. What is Kirchoff's current law?

Kirchoff's current law, also known as the first law, states that the total current entering a junction in a circuit must equal the total current leaving the junction. In other words, the sum of all currents entering a junction must be equal to the sum of all currents leaving the junction.

3. What is Kirchoff's voltage law?

Kirchoff's voltage law, also known as the second law, states that the sum of all voltage drops in a closed loop in a circuit must be equal to the sum of all voltage gains. In other words, the total voltage around a closed loop in a circuit must be zero.

4. How are Kirchoff's rules used in circuit analysis?

Kirchoff's rules are used in circuit analysis to determine the values of currents and voltages in a circuit. By applying these laws, we can create equations that can be solved to find the unknown values.

5. Are Kirchoff's rules applicable to all types of circuits?

Yes, Kirchoff's rules are applicable to all types of circuits, whether they are simple or complex, series or parallel, DC or AC. These laws are fundamental principles of circuit analysis and are used in all types of circuits.