Good electromagnetism book

In summary, the user is looking for a good introductory book on electromagnetism that is affordable, modern, rigorous, and preferably covers electromagnetism within special relativity and its invariance. They only have a basic understanding of electromagnetism and are familiar with vector calculus. Some suggested books include Purcell, Fitzpatrick, Griffiths, Ohanian, Thide, and Grant & Phillips.
Terilien
Are there any good introductory electromagnetism books that don't cost too much? I'm interested in relativity but I would like to back up and gain a more solid foundation in electromagnetism first. I would like something modern, somewhat rigourous(mathematically), and preferably with a conversational tone. I would also be nice if it convered electromagnetism within special relativity, and it's invariance.

At this point i know very little elctromagnetism beyond, potential, superposition and gauss's law.

Yes i do know vector calculus.

thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try a search in this forum on "electromagnetism".

https://www.physicsforums.com/search.php?searchid=616483 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Last edited by a moderator:
Grant & Phillips

What makes a good electromagnetism book?

A good electromagnetism book should have a clear and organized presentation of the fundamental concepts, equations, and principles of electromagnetism. It should also include real-life examples and applications to help readers understand the concepts better.

What level of mathematics is required for a good electromagnetism book?

A good electromagnetism book should cover the necessary mathematical foundations, including vector calculus, differential equations, and complex numbers. It should also explain how these mathematical concepts are applied in electromagnetism.

Does a good electromagnetism book include practical experiments?

Yes, a good electromagnetism book should include practical experiments and demonstrations that allow readers to apply the concepts they have learned. This will help deepen their understanding of the subject and make it more engaging.

Are there any recommended electromagnetism books for beginners?

Some popular electromagnetism books for beginners include "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths, "Electromagnetism for Engineers" by P.P. Silvester and T. H. Flack, and "Electromagnetism: Principles and Applications" by Paul Lorrain and Dale Corson.

Are there any online resources available for learning about electromagnetism?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning about electromagnetism, including interactive simulations, video lectures, and online courses. Some reputable sources include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Coursera.