Decision Time: CERN or Georgia Tech's Nanotech Program?

In summary, the individual is trying to decide between going to CERN or Georgia Tech for the summer. They have been accepted to both programs, but are unsure which would be the better option for their future career. They are currently leaning towards Georgia Tech due to the opportunity for a graduate program and potential future job opportunities. However, they also see the value in gaining international experience at CERN. They have a research advisor and have already started doing research in their first semester as a Physics major. They are seeking advice on which program to choose.
americanforest
My research advisor is telling me to go to CERN this summer, however I applied and was accepted to the Georgia Tech Nanotech program. I heard the Georgia Tech Nanotech program is one of the best, is that true. What do you guys think I should do? CERN or GT?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well CERN sounds better to me from an academic perspective, but I'm biased, since I'll be doing high energy physics this summer myself (MINOS here). I don't know much about Georgia Tech's Nanotech program, heck, I don't even know what nanotechnology is. But I can tell you that Atlanta is a pretty cool town (if that sways your decision at all). It's got the great weather of the South, and a lot of stuff to do for fun, but without the suckiness of the stereotypical South.

I'm not sure what I'm going to concentrate on the future so I'm just looking at it from purely practical standpoint, especially how future employers will look at this. I think Georgia is one of the better research programs in the nation in Nanotech so I think that would be good to intern there if I go into Nanotech. If I got into Particle Physics would going to CERN look just as good on my resume for particle physics?

If all else fails I could do one this summer, and the other at some other time. Any advise?

If it was me and I wasn't totally sure which direction I wanted to do, I would choose CERN. If you're from the US, I think international experience would be looked upon favorably. Not that GT wouldn't be, but not all that many have the opportunity to travel outside of the country.

If this is your first research experience (doubt it since you said you have a research advisor), you can learn a lot about what it means to do research regardless of what you study.

So, quick recap: If it was me, I'd pick CERN if I wasn't sure what I wanted to do (and cost was not a factor). I'd pick GT if I was pretty sure that is what I wanted to do in the future.

Good luck

I think one of the main things is that I think that GT is an actual research job (internship), whereas CERN would be more of a trip with maybe a bit of research thrown in. I'm going to go with GT. Also, it will be much easier to get into their nanotech graduate program if I do the intership, which is a really good door to keep open for me. Hopefully though, I will be able to go to CERN at some point in the future.

It's my first semester as a Physics major so I'm a bit ahead of the game on the research front. I decided I'd dive right into it, as I think it's just as important as grades. I'm doing Monte Carlo simulations for my advisor with a view to publishing a paper at some point in the near future (hopefully within a year or two). I'm getting paid the same I was paid as a bagger at my local grocery store, but this is so much more fun :)

Last edited:
I have to make my decision within the hour. Any more last minute advise? I think I won't be doing much at CERN as I just started doing research and don't know enough to really be of much use. At GT, however, I would be of more use. Also, the CERN job was offered to me and the GT job I had to apply for and get through a pretty selective accpetance process. I figure if it's that much harder to get in GT, it's probably more worth going. Also, GT would give me an easier road through graduate school and future jobs possibly at GT.

1. What is the difference between CERN and Georgia Tech's Nanotech Program?

CERN (European Organization for Nuclear Research) is a large international research organization that focuses on particle physics, while Georgia Tech's Nanotech Program is a specific program within a university that focuses on nanotechnology research and education. CERN's research is primarily focused on understanding the fundamental building blocks of the universe, while Georgia Tech's Nanotech Program is focused on developing new technologies and materials at the nanoscale.

2. Which program offers better opportunities for career advancement?

This is a difficult question to answer definitively, as it ultimately depends on an individual's personal goals and interests. CERN offers the opportunity to work on cutting-edge research in particle physics and collaborate with scientists from around the world, which can lead to career advancement in academia or industry. Georgia Tech's Nanotech Program offers a more specialized education in a rapidly growing field, which can also lead to career opportunities in various industries such as healthcare, energy, and electronics.

3. What is the application process like for each program?

The application process for CERN and Georgia Tech's Nanotech Program will vary, as they are two different types of programs. CERN typically has a competitive application process for research positions, while Georgia Tech's Nanotech Program may require admission into the university first before being able to declare a major in nanotechnology. It's important to research the specific requirements and deadlines for each program.

4. Can I participate in both programs simultaneously?

It is not possible to participate in both programs simultaneously, as they are located in different locations and have different requirements. However, you may be able to participate in research collaborations between CERN and Georgia Tech's Nanotech Program, depending on your specific research interests and opportunities available.

5. What are the potential research opportunities in each program?

CERN offers a wide range of research opportunities in particle physics, including the study of the Higgs boson, dark matter, and antimatter. Georgia Tech's Nanotech Program offers research opportunities in areas such as nanomaterials, nanoelectronics, and nanomedicine. Both programs offer the opportunity to work on groundbreaking research projects and contribute to scientific advancements.