What Shape is this Paper Lamp?

• Thread starter sushi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shape
In summary, the conversation revolved around a paper lamp that was built and the shape it would be classified as. The creator attached a picture of the shape and mentioned using insane 3d visualization to make it. They originally wanted to make a dodecahedron but ended up with a different shape made of 6 sheets of paper folded into interlocking triangles. The question of what the shape should be called was brought up, with the conclusion that it is a dodecahedron if the edges where the faces are glued together are not considered part of the shape.
sushi
Hi,

I built this paper lamp and am trying to figure out what shape it would be classified as (dodecahedron, etc.). I've attached a picture of the shape, thanks for your help.

Attachments

• image_00560.jpg
    image_00560.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 500
Mathematics news on Phys.org
sushi said:
Hi,

I built this paper lamp and am trying to figure out what shape it would be classified as (dodecahedron, etc.). I've attached a picture of the shape, thanks for your help.

Making this requires insane 3d visualization. How did you do it?

I just figured it out as I went, orginaly I wanted to make a dodecahedron but it wasn't going to be big enough for what I wanted [putting an LED light inside of it et cetera..]. Each pentagonal pyramid is 6 sheets of paper that I folded into sort of interlocking triangles.

That's a cool looking figure.

But what would it be called?

Are the edges where the faces are glued together part of the figure?

If not then the platonic solid consisting of 12 faces, each a pentagon, is, in fact, a dodecahedron.

1. What is the shape of this paper lamp?

The shape of a paper lamp can vary depending on the design, but most commonly it is either spherical, cylindrical, or conical.

2. How is the shape of a paper lamp determined?

The shape of a paper lamp is determined by its structure and the way the paper is folded or manipulated. Different techniques can result in different shapes.

3. Can the shape of a paper lamp be changed?

Yes, the shape of a paper lamp can be changed by unfolding or reshaping the paper. However, this may damage the structure of the lamp and affect its functionality.

4. Do different cultures have different shapes for their paper lamps?

Yes, different cultures have their own unique designs and shapes for paper lamps. For example, Chinese paper lanterns are typically round or oval, while Japanese paper lanterns often have a more rectangular shape.

5. How does the shape of a paper lamp affect its function?

The shape of a paper lamp can affect its function in terms of the amount and direction of light it emits. For example, a conical lamp will direct light downwards, while a spherical lamp will emit light in all directions.