Moment of inertia of a right triangle

In summary, the question is asking for the moment of inertia of a right triangle with the y-axis, with a mass of 1 kg and a center of mass at y = 5/3. The calculation for the moment of inertia is then given as 1*(5/3)^2 = 25/9 = 2.77777 kg m^2. However, there is some confusion as to why this is the correct calculation and why the center of mass is assumed to be "r". Further explanation and a demonstration of how the center of mass was found is needed.
munther
in my homework the question wants from me to find the moment of inertia of
right triangle with the y-axis

as shown in the attatchment

note: the mass of the plate is 1 kg

i found the y coordinate of the center of mass of the plate it is 5/3
and i supposed it is the r

so the inertia will be mr^2
=1*(5/3)^2
=25/9
=2.77777 kg m^2

is that right??

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 963
Physics news on Phys.org
If you're calculating the moment of inertia with respect to the y-axis, then it doesn't look right.

Thank you >
but Why??

can you give me a hint??

munther said:
i found the y coordinate of the center of mass of the plate it is 5/3
and i supposed it is the r

I think it would be better for you to show us how you found that. Also, why do you suppose it is "the r"?

e(ho0n3 said:
I think it would be better for you to show us how you found that. Also, why do you suppose it is "the r"?

i found it from the first part of the question

munther said:
i found it from the first part of the question

Now that you found it, please post it.

1. What is the moment of inertia of a right triangle?

The moment of inertia of a right triangle is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion around a specific axis. It is a property that depends on the mass distribution of the object and the chosen axis of rotation.

2. How is the moment of inertia of a right triangle calculated?

The moment of inertia of a right triangle can be calculated by using the formula I = (1/6) * m * h^2, where m is the mass of the object and h is the height of the triangle from the chosen axis of rotation.

3. What is the importance of knowing the moment of inertia of a right triangle?

Knowing the moment of inertia of a right triangle is important in understanding an object's rotational motion and predicting how it will behave when subjected to external forces. It is also useful in engineering and designing structures that need to resist rotational forces.

4. Can the moment of inertia of a right triangle change?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a right triangle can change if there is a change in the mass distribution of the object or if the axis of rotation is changed. It can also be affected by the shape and size of the triangle.

5. How does the moment of inertia of a right triangle compare to other shapes?

The moment of inertia of a right triangle is smaller than that of a rectangle with the same base and height. It is also smaller than that of a circle with the same area. This is because the mass is concentrated at the corners of the triangle, making it easier to rotate compared to a more evenly distributed mass in other shapes.