An Experiment to Measure Gravity Blockade in Superfluids

But I also think that the "conventional wisdom" isn't always as wise as it thinks it is. Remember when the "conventional wisdom" was that space was filled with an all-pervasive "ether" through which light propagated ? And for that matter, how about the "flat Earth" theory ?So let's keep an open mind and explore these interesting ideas.In summary, imagine a thin spherical shell filled with a substance that can be turned into a superfluid with the flip of a switch. When this system is placed on a scale, flipping the switch would cause a drop in weight due to the blocking of gravitational waves by superfluids. This could potentially help in measuring the characteristics of gravitational waves. However,
eNtRopY
Imagine, if you will, a thin spherical shell filled with a substance that can be made a superfluid with the flip of a switch. We fill the volume of the inner shell with lead. We place this system on a spring scale.

Now, according to recent theory, superfluids may in fact block gravitational waves. So, if we flip the switch on, so that the superfluid is on, we should immediately notice a drop in the measured weight of our system.

In fact, this ability to turn off gravity may actually help us measure the characteristics of gravitational waves.

eNtRopY

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
wow, interesting.
but if turning lead into a superfluid was as easy as flipping a switch, we would know more than just theories

Greetings !
Originally posted by The_oMeGa
but if turning lead into a superfluid was as
easy as flipping a switch, we would know more
than just theories
:wink:

I still do not understand it, despite the
difficulties of cooling superconductors
and all and the pathetic and changing force
of gravity on Earth's surface - why can't
they just conduct a series of experiments
with them to see once and for all if
gravity is affected ? I mean if it's such a
hot subject and all and the potential
is high in usefullness terms - just get the
money and do it thoroughly. What's the problem ?

Live long and prosper.

Originally posted by The_oMeGa
wow, interesting.
but if turning lead into a superfluid was as easy as flipping a switch, we would know more than just theories

I don't think Ent was talking about "turning lead into a superfluid", but rather sarounding a lump of lead with a superfluid.

This is indeed an interesting idea. And one which seems so simple and obvious, I have to wonder if it hasn't already been done.

Also; if superfluids turn out to be of great importance and practical application, will we have to come up with a different word for "superfluous"?

Originally posted by LURCH
I don't think Ent was talking about "turning lead into a superfluid", but rather sarounding a lump of lead with a superfluid.

Thank you for understanding me, LURCH.

eNtRopY

Originally posted by eNtRopY
Now, according to recent theory, superfluids may in fact block gravitational waves. So, if we flip the switch on, so that the superfluid is on, we should immediately notice a drop in the measured weight of our system.

eNtRopY

The above may be stretching things a bit. There have been numerous attempts to formulate quantum gravity. Each of these ideas usually involves some predicted difference with General Relativity. At any point in time, there are probably dozens of work-in-process ideas being floated.

However, repeated tests of every aspect of gravity yields results consistent with the predictions of GR. Needless to say, if a superfluid blocked the Earth's gravity in any way, that would not be expected by GR.

I am certainly not saying that such an experiment shouldn't be performed; I just want to set the record straight about the current state of theory. At this point, GR rules safely and soundly, and continues to take on all comers.

1. What is the purpose of conducting an experiment to measure gravity blockade in superfluids?

The purpose of this experiment is to investigate the phenomenon of gravity blockade in superfluids, which is the suppression of superfluid flow in the presence of a strong gravitational field. This phenomenon has important implications in understanding the behavior of superfluids in extreme environments, such as in the cores of neutron stars or in the early universe.

2. How is the experiment designed to measure gravity blockade in superfluids?

The experiment involves creating a superfluid using liquid helium, and then applying a strong gravitational field using a centrifuge. The researchers will then measure the flow of the superfluid under different levels of gravitational force, and compare it to the flow without any gravitational force. This will allow them to observe the effects of gravity blockade on the superfluid flow.

3. What are the potential applications of understanding gravity blockade in superfluids?

Understanding gravity blockade in superfluids has potential applications in various fields, such as astrophysics, cosmology, and quantum mechanics. It can help us better understand the behavior of superfluids in extreme environments, and also provide insight into the fundamental properties of matter and gravity.

4. How is gravity blockade related to the concept of Bose-Einstein condensates?

Gravity blockade is a phenomenon that occurs in Bose-Einstein condensates, which are a state of matter where a large number of particles occupy the same quantum state. In superfluids, this leads to the suppression of flow in the presence of a strong gravitational field, known as gravity blockade. Therefore, studying gravity blockade in superfluids can also contribute to our understanding of Bose-Einstein condensates.

5. What are the potential implications of the results from this experiment?

The results from this experiment can have significant implications in various fields of physics, such as astrophysics and cosmology. It can also provide valuable insights into the behavior of superfluids and the fundamental properties of matter and gravity. The findings may also lead to further research and advancements in the study of superfluids and Bose-Einstein condensates.