Build a Ping Pong Ball Cannon with Limited Materials

In summary, the conversation discusses the best way to build a cannon that can shoot a ping pong ball using limited materials such as rubber bands, popsicle sticks, toothpicks, string, tape & glue, straws, and cardboard. It needs to have a trigger that can be set off by one finger and cannot rely on just pulling a rubber band back and releasing it. The suggestion is to use the rubber bands to provide the energy and to look up early crossbows for possible trigger latch designs.
ib2loud
What's the best way to build a cannon to shoot an object the size of a ping pong ball when I have these limited materials. I'm really stuck on the best way to make it. Also, it has to have a trigger that is set off by one finger only, and it can't be that you just pull a rubber band back and let go.

Max 2 rubber bands
Popsicle sticks
Toothpicks
String
Tape & Glue
Straws
Cardboard

Physics news on Phys.org
Presumably you have to use the rubber bands to provide the energy.
Can you just pull back the bands onto some sort of trigger and then pull the trigger to release them - look up early crossbows in wiki, just about all possible simple trigger latches have been tried.

There are a few different designs that could potentially work with the limited materials you have listed. One option could be to use the popsicle sticks to create a frame for the cannon, with the cardboard serving as the base or the barrel of the cannon. The straws could be used as the barrel of the cannon, with the toothpicks serving as the stabilizers to keep it in place. The rubber bands could be used as the source of propulsion for the ping pong ball, with one end attached to the frame and the other end attached to the barrel. The trigger could be created using a combination of the string and toothpicks, with the string wrapped around the toothpicks and pulled to release the rubber bands and launch the ping pong ball.

Another option could be to create a slingshot-style cannon using the straws and rubber bands. The rubber bands could be attached to the ends of the straws, with the ping pong ball placed in the middle. The popsicle sticks could be used to create a handle and trigger mechanism, with the string and toothpicks used to pull back and release the rubber bands.

Whichever design you choose, it's important to consider the safety precautions and potential hazards associated with building and using a ping pong ball cannon. Always make sure to wear protective gear and use caution when launching the ball. It's also important to test and adjust your design as needed to ensure the best results. Good luck with your project!

1. How do I build a ping pong ball cannon with limited materials?

In order to build a ping pong ball cannon with limited materials, you will need to get creative and think outside the box. Look for common household items that can be repurposed, such as cardboard tubes, plastic bottles, and rubber bands. You can also try using alternative materials, such as straws or balloons, to create the necessary components for the cannon.

2. What materials do I need to build a ping pong ball cannon?

The materials you will need to build a ping pong ball cannon include a cardboard tube, a plastic bottle, a rubber band, scissors, a hot glue gun, and a ping pong ball. You may also want to have additional materials on hand for decorating or stabilizing the cannon, such as paint, duct tape, or weights.

3. How do I assemble the ping pong ball cannon?

To assemble the ping pong ball cannon, you will need to cut a small hole in the side of the plastic bottle and insert the cardboard tube into it. Then, secure the tube in place with a rubber band wrapped tightly around the bottle. Next, cut a small slit in the top of the cardboard tube and insert the ping pong ball. Finally, use hot glue to seal any gaps or loose edges and allow it to dry completely before use.

4. How do I use the ping pong ball cannon?

To use the ping pong ball cannon, simply place the end of the cardboard tube on a flat surface or against a wall, aim in the desired direction, and push the ping pong ball through the tube. The rubber band will create tension and propel the ball out of the cannon at a high speed. Be sure to use caution and always point the cannon away from people or fragile objects.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using the ping pong ball cannon?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when using the ping pong ball cannon. Always point the cannon away from people and fragile objects, and never aim it at someone's face or body. Be aware of your surroundings and never use the cannon in a crowded area. Also, be sure to use appropriate materials and follow all instructions carefully to avoid any accidents or injuries.