Radioisotope thermoelectric generator

In summary, RTGs (Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generators) are a type of power source used in spacecraft and other applications. They work by converting the heat from radioactive decay into electricity. A good reference for information on their design and function is chapter 5 of "Spacecraft Power Technologies" by Hyder et al. Additionally, chapter 11 of "AIAA Aerospace Design Engineers Guide" has useful charts on RTGs. RTGs have also been used in Soviet lighthouses and are currently powering the Voyager and Cassini space probes. More information on these applications can be found in the provided links.
bill nye scienceguy!
as part of an engineering project I am doing i have to briefly discuss RTGs and i would like a reference other than wikipedia to put in my bibliography. can anyone direct me to a good book or journal article which describes the design, function etc?

thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at ch. 5 in Hyder, A.K., et al, Spacecraft Power Technologies, London: Imperial College Press, 2000.

There are some useful charts in chapt 11 of
AIAA Aerospace Design Engineers Guide (5th Edition)
Edited by: The Design Guide Subcommittee of the AIAA Design Engineering Technical Committee © 2003 American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics

Russia made a lot of RTGs back in the day. Alot of them powered lighthouses, and beacons around Siberia. Now they have a problem dismantling them.

http://www.bellona.org/english_import_area/international/russia/navy/northern_fleet/incidents/37598/

Voyager space probes, among many are powered by RTGs, miraculously they still transmit today after 25 years. Cassini Saturn probe is power by three RTGs, providing 900 Watts of power for years to come. You might want to look those up.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator (RTG)?

A Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator (RTG) is a device that uses the heat produced by the decay of a radioactive material to generate electricity. It is commonly used in space missions to power spacecraft and probes that operate in environments where solar power is not feasible.

How does an RTG work?

An RTG consists of a radioactive material (usually plutonium-238) that is encased in a protective shell and surrounded by a thermocouple. As the radioactive material decays, it produces heat, which is converted into electricity by the thermocouple. The electricity is then used to power the device or spacecraft.

Is it safe to use RTGs?

RTGs are designed to be safe for use in space missions. The radioactive material used in RTGs is highly regulated and handled with extreme caution to minimize any potential risks. The protective shell and thermocouple also act as barriers to prevent any radiation from escaping.

What are the advantages of using RTGs?

RTGs have a long lifespan and can operate for decades without the need for maintenance or refueling. They also do not rely on external sources of energy, making them ideal for use in remote or harsh environments. Additionally, RTGs can provide a constant and reliable source of power, unlike solar panels which may be affected by factors such as dust or low sunlight.

What are the limitations of RTGs?

One of the main limitations of RTGs is their high cost and complexity. They also produce a relatively small amount of electricity compared to other power sources. Additionally, the use of radioactive materials raises concerns about potential environmental impacts and the safe disposal of the materials at the end of the RTG's lifespan.