Cauchy's Integral Formula

In summary: So in summary, the person is trying to apply the Cauchy Integral Formula to solve an equation in the form of (z^2/(4-z^2)) with respect to z, over |z+1|=2. They have partial fractions but can't seem to get it to work. They also attempted to find the poles of the function but lost because only -2 is inside their domain. If they could only find a method to evaluate the integral only within the same region as the function, they might be able to solve it.
desaila

Homework Statement

integral of (z^2/(4-z^2)) with respect to z, over |z+1|=2

Homework Equations

Cauchy's Formula(I'm attempting to do it in the more fancy and easily readable sense, if it's not readable then go here.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauchy's_integral_formula )
[tex]f^k(z)=\frac{k!}{2i\pi}\int_{C}\frac{f(\zeta)d\zet a}{(\zeta-z)^{k+1}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So, the first thing I did was try and get it in the form of the formula. I did a partial fraction expansion and have integral of(1/(z-2) + 1/(z+2)). You can split these apart if I recall correctly, however, once I get there I have absolutely no idea what to do. I have some examples and things that I've looked at, but I can't seem to really put it together.

I don't understand how to apply the formula is what I mean.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\int_{|z+1|=2} \frac{z^2}{4-z^2} dz = - \int_{|z+1|=2} \frac{-z^2 + 4 -4}{4-z^2} dz [/tex]

So basically your only problem is to evaluate the integral only the same region, but now with integrand [tex]\frac{1}{4-z^2}[/tex].

Partial fractions should give a form [tex]\frac{a}{2+z} + \frac{b}{2-z}[/tex], which might have turned out to be your evaluations if b is negative. Sadly, it isn't. Check that.

These integrals are best handled by the residue theory. But I can show you how to use Cauchy Integral formula to do this.
Firstly understand the domain bounded by the curve |Z+1|=2, it is a circle of radius 2, centre at (-1,0)
Secordly, find out all the poles of your function [tex]g(z)=\frac{z^2}{4-z^2}[/tex]
well this language of "finding the poles" may sound a bit strange, but it all relates back to the language used in residue theory. Anyway, without confusing you too much, all it really means here is to work out all the [tex]a\text{'s}[/tex] in the Cauchy formula:

[tex]f(a) = \frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_{\partial D}\frac{f(z)}{a-z}dz,\quad a\in D[/tex]
where [tex]\partial D[/tex] is the boundary of domain [tex]D[/tex].

Here, [tex]g(z) = \frac{z^2}{4-z^2} = \frac{z^2}{(2-z)(2+z)}[/tex], the poles are -2 and 2. If you look at it carefully, in this case, you do not need to employ any tricks such as partial fractions or "excising any holes to your domain D". This is because only -2 is inside your domain [tex]|z+1|\leq 2[/tex]. This observation means that now you only need to evaluate an integral that looks like:

[tex]\int_{|z+1|=2}\frac{h(z)}{(2+z)}dz,\quad -2\in \{z:|z+1|\leq 2\};\quad
\text{ with }\;\; h(z) = \frac{z^2}{2-z}[/tex]

Note that h(z) is analytic in the domain given so you can now apply Cauchy Integral Formula to complete the job.

What is Cauchy's Integral Formula?

Cauchy's Integral Formula is a mathematical theorem that relates the values of a complex function inside a closed contour to the values of the function on the contour itself. It is an important tool in complex analysis and has applications in various fields of mathematics and physics.

Who discovered Cauchy's Integral Formula?

The formula was discovered by the French mathematician Augustin-Louis Cauchy in the early 19th century. Cauchy was a pioneer in complex analysis and made significant contributions to the field.

What is the significance of Cauchy's Integral Formula?

Cauchy's Integral Formula is significant because it allows for the calculation of complex integrals using only the values of the function on the contour, making it a powerful tool in complex analysis. It also has applications in solving differential equations, finding residues, and evaluating contour integrals.

What are the assumptions for Cauchy's Integral Formula to hold?

For Cauchy's Integral Formula to hold, the function must be analytic (meaning it has a derivative at every point) inside the contour and on the contour itself. The contour must also be a simple closed curve, meaning it does not intersect itself.

What are some real-world applications of Cauchy's Integral Formula?

Cauchy's Integral Formula has applications in many areas of mathematics and physics, such as in the fields of fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in engineering to solve problems involving potential flow and heat transfer.