Find the Rate of Change of Distance Between Two Cars Moving at Different Speeds

In summary, two cars start moving from the same point, one traveling south at 60 mi/h and the other traveling west at 25 mi/h. After two hours, they would have traveled 120 miles and 50 miles, respectively. Using the Pythagorean theorem, the distance between the cars can be expressed as x^2+y^2=z^2, and by implicitly differentiating, the rate of change of this distance can be found. After plugging in the values for dx/dt and dy/dt, the missing length can be found and used to solve for dz/dt.
AquaGlass
Related Rates Help please!

Homework Statement

Two cars start moving from teh same point. One travels south at 60 mi/h and the other travels west at 25 mi/h. At what rate is the distance between the cars increasing two hours later?"

Homework Equations

So far I have the equation..
(z^2) = (x^2) + (y^2)

I know dy/dt = 60 mi/h and dx/dt = 25 mi/h.

The Attempt at a Solution

I implicity differentiated the first equation and ended up with:
dz/dt = (50x +120y)*(1/2z)

Since I do not know what x or y is I am unable to find the rate the distance between the two cars is increasing.

Thank you so much for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]x^2+y^2=z^2[/tex]

taking the derivative

[tex]x\frac{dx}{dt}+y\frac{dy}{dt}=z\frac{dz}{dt}[/tex]

You're told that one travels 60 miles per hour and the other, 25 miles per hour. How far would they each have gone after 2 hours?

do I multiply the whole equation by 2 then?

AquaGlass said:
do I multiply the whole equation by 2 then?
Not the equation. Read my last sentence!

After two hours, they would have gone 120 miles and 50 miles?

Correct, now plug those values in. And the rate doesn't change, just the distance.

Hey,

Welcome to the forum AquaGlass.

AquaGlass said:
After two hours, they would have gone 120 miles and 50 miles?

Exactly. But how did you get that? Once you figure out that, you will see how to re-express [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex].

Or in other words what are the following proportional to,

[tex]
{\frac{dx}{dt}} = {\frac{?}{?}}
[/tex]

[tex]
{\frac{dy}{dt}} = {\frac{?}{?}}
[/tex]

-PFStudent

well then you get Zdz/dt = some number, but what about the Z then.. aren't we trying to find dz/dt? how do you cancel out the z?

Use the Pythagorean theorem to find your missing length.

[tex]x^2+y^2=z^2[/tex]

ohhh ok i see! thank you so much!

1. What are related rates and how do they relate to calculus?

Related rates is a mathematical concept that involves finding the rate of change of one variable with respect to another variable. It is used in calculus to solve problems involving changing quantities that are related to each other.

2. How do I set up a related rates problem?

To set up a related rates problem, you first need to identify the variables that are changing and how they are related to each other. Then, you need to express this relationship as an equation and take the derivative of both sides with respect to time. Finally, you can plug in the given values and solve for the desired rate of change.

3. Can you give an example of a related rates problem?

Sure, here's an example: A ladder is leaning against a wall and sliding down at a rate of 2 ft/s. At the same time, the bottom of the ladder is sliding away from the wall at a rate of 3 ft/s. How fast is the top of the ladder sliding down the wall when the bottom of the ladder is 12 feet from the wall?

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving related rates problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid include not properly identifying the variables and their rates of change, not setting up the equation correctly, and not correctly taking the derivative. It's also important to carefully label and keep track of units throughout the problem.

5. How can I check if my solution to a related rates problem is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging in the values from the problem and seeing if the equation holds true. You can also check if your answer makes sense in the context of the problem. Additionally, you can use the chain rule to take the derivative of the original equation and see if it matches the derivative you found in your solution.