Unitary Operators and the Time Evolution Operator: Exploring the Connection

• Thread starter captain
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operator
In summary, the time evolution operator in quantum mechanics has the form of an imaginary exponential with the Hamiltonian operator in it because it is a unitary operator that preserves the inner product and is a solution to Schrödinger's equation. This is due to the principle of time-translation invariance and the mathematical fact that unitary operators are of the form e^{iH}, where H is a Hermitian operator. This is also related to group theory and functional analysis.
captain
why is the time evolution operator have the form the an imaginary exponential with the hamiltonian in it. I have read some texts on quantum mechanics and so far none of them have given me an explanation for that. If some one can provide me with a proof to it or a website that has the proof I would gladly appreciate it

Physics news on Phys.org
The simple answer is that the solution of Schrodinger's equation (in abstract notation):

[tex] i \frac{d}{dt} |\Psi> = H|\Psi> [/tex]

can be written as:

[tex] |\Psi(t)> = e^{-iHt} |\Psi(0)> [/tex]

The operator [itex]e^{-iHt}[/itex] is a unitary operator, and is called the time evolution operator, since it takes a state at time t' to time t+t'. Differentiating the last equation (treating H as an ordinary number) shows it is a solution.

More generally, any symmetry of the system is represented by a unitary operator on its Hilbert space (here the symmetry is time-translation invariance, ie, the outcome of an experiment is independent of when it is run). This is because we expect a symmetry to have no effect on the transition probabilities between various states, which means it should preserve the inner product on the Hilbert space, and this is precisely what a unitary operator does (you can think of unitary operators as the generalization to Hilbert spaces of orthogonal transformations (ie, rotations)). Then it is just a mathematical fact that unitary operators are of the form [itex]e^{iH}[/itex], where H is a Hermitian operator. In one (complex) dimension, this is just the statement that complex numbers of unit magnitude (1D unitary operators) are all of the form [itex]e^{it}[/itex], where t is a real number (1D Hermitian operator).

Last edited:
If you describe a system as being in the state [itex]|\alpha\rangle[/itex], then an observer who's translated in time relative to you would describe it as being in another state. We can define a time evolution operator U(t) by saying that the state vector he uses is [itex]U(t)|\alpha\rangle[/itex], where U(t) is unitary. We would expect U(t+s)=U(t)U(s) to hold, and if it does, then U(t) must be an exponential, U(t)=exp(At). (That argument can be made rigorous). It's easy to verify that U(t) is only unitary if A is anti-Hermitian, so it's convenient to write A=-iH, where H is Hermitian. (The minus sign isn't important. It's just a matter of whether t represents how the other guy is translated in time relative to us or how we're translated relative to him).

You should think of this as the definition of the Hamiltonian. The Schrödinger equation is just what you get when you take the time derivative of the time evolution operator, which exists simply because physics is the same to an observer who's translated in time relative to us. You can think of this as the reason why the Hamiltonian (and therefore energy) exists.

StatusX said:
unitary operators are of the form [itex]e^{iH}[/itex], where H is a Hermitian operator.
Hmm, don't you need the condition U(t+s)=U(t)U(s) to be sure that it's an exponential?

Its an applycation of group theory+func analysys to QM

basically u needo this theorem:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone's_theorem_on_one-parameter_unitary_groups

Fredrik said:
Hmm, don't you need the condition U(t+s)=U(t)U(s) to be sure that it's an exponential?

I'm just talking about a single unitary operator, not a group of them. In the finite dimensional case, this is because a unitary matrix is normal, and so diagonalizable, and by unitarity its eigenvalues must all be complex numbers of norm 1. So, in the basis where its diagonal, it is the exponential of i times a real diagonal matrix, and so in an arbitrary basis, it is the exponential of i times a hermitian matrix. I'm not sure if this works in the infinite dimensional case.

Last edited:

1. What is a time-evolution operator?

A time-evolution operator is a mathematical tool used in quantum mechanics to describe how a system evolves over time. It is represented by a matrix, and when applied to a state vector, it describes how the state of the system changes from one moment to the next.

2. How is a time-evolution operator related to the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes how the state of a system changes over time. The time-evolution operator is directly related to the Schrödinger equation, as it is the solution to the equation when time is considered to be a continuous variable.

3. What is the significance of the time-evolution operator in quantum mechanics?

The time-evolution operator is essential in quantum mechanics as it allows us to calculate the state of a system at any given time. It also plays a crucial role in calculating the probabilities of different outcomes for a measurement on the system.

4. How is a time-evolution operator applied in experiments?

In experiments, the time-evolution operator is used to calculate the expected outcomes of measurements on a quantum system. It is also used to predict how the system will behave over time and can be used to design and analyze experiments.

5. Can the time-evolution operator be used to describe classical systems?

No, the time-evolution operator is a concept specific to quantum mechanics and cannot be applied to classical systems. Classical systems follow classical laws of motion, while quantum systems require a different mathematical framework, including the use of a time-evolution operator.