Geometrical algebra's: simple equation

• Thread starter CompuChip
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometrical
In summary, the geometrical algebra tutorial provides a good intro to product operations and object types in 4 dimensions.
CompuChip
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Hello,

In a geometrical algebra exercise I have to solve the equation
k F = 0,​
where k is a vector and F is a bivector (plane).
From this it follows that also [itex]\mathbf{k} \wedge F = 0[/itex], which basically says that the vector k is perpendicular to the plane F.
We are supposed to show (among other things) that [itex]F = \mathbf{k} \wedge \mathbf{A}[/itex] for some vector A.
My question is: can you prove that this is always possible (or give a counterexample)? So
(Theorem) - any plane F perpendicular to a vector k can be written as k wedged with another vector A
(I'm working in 4 spacetime dimensions. Probably the statement can be (dis)proven by choosing a basis - and then separating the cases where F and k are timelike, spacelike, etc - but apparently the power of geometrical algebras is that one can do without...).

Physics news on Phys.org
CompuChip said:
From this it follows that also [itex]\mathbf{k} \wedge F = 0[/itex], which basically says that the vector k is perpendicular to the plane F.

On the contrary, it means that k lies in the subspace F, and this implies that F can be factored as [tex]F=k\wedge a[/tex], where
[itex] a [/itex] is some vector. i.e. F is not only a bivector but is also a blade. Then
[itex] k\wedge F = k\wedge k\wedge a = 0 [/itex]. (Recall that, in 4 dimensions, a bivector does not in general have to be a plane).

OK, that was really stupid.
Thanks a lot.

I stumbled on the following the other day:

http://www.science.uva.nl/ga/tutorials/

It's a interactive GA tutorial/presentation for a game programmers conference that provides a really good intro and has a lot of examples that I found helpful to get an intuitive feel for all the various product operations and object types.

Even if you weren't trying to learn GA, if you have done any traditonal vector algebra/calculus, IMO its worthwhile to download this just to just to see the animation of how the old cross product varies with changes to the vectors.

You have to download the GAViewer program (graphical vector calculator) to run the presentation. Once you do that you can use it for other calculation examples. See:

http://www.geometricalgebra.net/downloads/gaviewerexercises.pdf

for some examples of how to use this as a standalone tool (note that the book the drills are from use a different notation for dot product (with a slightly different meaning and uses an oriented L symbol dependent on the grades of the blades).

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is geometrical algebra?

Geometrical algebra is a mathematical system that extends traditional algebraic concepts to incorporate geometric operations, allowing for the representation of both geometric and algebraic quantities in a single framework.

2. How is geometrical algebra different from traditional algebra?

Geometrical algebra differs from traditional algebra in that it incorporates geometric elements such as points, lines, and planes, and their corresponding operations, into the algebraic framework. This allows for a more comprehensive representation of mathematical concepts.

3. What is a simple equation in geometrical algebra?

A simple equation in geometrical algebra is an equation that represents the relationship between geometric and algebraic quantities, using both traditional algebraic symbols and geometric elements such as vectors and matrices.

4. How is geometrical algebra used in science?

Geometrical algebra is used in science to model and analyze physical phenomena that involve both geometric and algebraic quantities. It is particularly useful in areas such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

5. What are the benefits of using geometrical algebra?

There are several benefits to using geometrical algebra, including a more intuitive understanding of mathematical concepts, the ability to represent complex relationships in a concise manner, and the ability to easily extend traditional algebraic operations to geometric quantities.