Need help choosing a research topic for Caltech? Let's collaborate!

In summary: Sounds like you have a lot of energy and enthusiasm for this project, which is great. Keep at it!In summary, Tim suggests a research project idea to a friend and they both agree that it is a great idea. Tim is looking for someone to help him with the project and his friend has a teacher who could help him. Tim also mentions that he is interested in the theoretical side of physics and chemistry which could be a good starting point for the project.
lambda920
research project idea!?

Hey, I am currently a junior in high school, and I need help on choosing a research topic.
While looking and analyzing many "web pages" over the prestigious Caltech, I noticed one common thing. They only wanted students who showed a strong admiration toward science and math. And many students would show this by turning in a research project. I have, in my opinion, a great admiration for both these topics.
Currently, I want to start a research project, but not alone. I wish to collaborate with an older adult, such as a teacher. I have someone in mind who would gladly take up the oppurtunity, but I don't know what I could research to turn into Caltech, as well as any other universities.
I love to learn about the theoretical side of physics, and presently have a strong interest in particle physics. Physics, is also good too though :). Do you guys have any ideas on what I can begin researching now?

Physics news on Phys.org

What kind of funding/resources do you have available?

Learn something called finite volume methods in computational fluid dynamics and program a solver that will use spherical coordinates to model turbulent flow around a sphere at a reynold's number greater than two. You can surely generate some pretty pictures of flow and use them to impress those Caltech guys. All it costs would be one computer and a compiler in the programming language of your choosing. You will be able to learn lots of math and physics from this project. Should you choose to accept this project, I can help you along the way.

Topher925: Well, I hadn't really thought of that, but I think my school will be willing to help sponsor my project. For resources, I have many maths teachers who love science. One has a degree in engineering, so I could ask her. A teacher I was willing to ask seems to know a lot about chemistry, physics. Moneywise, not sure though, I'll find out soon.

1. What makes a good research project idea?

A good research project idea is one that addresses a relevant and important topic, has clear and achievable goals, and has the potential to contribute new knowledge or insights to the field of study. It should also be feasible in terms of resources, time, and research methods.

2. How do I come up with a research project idea?

To come up with a research project idea, you can start by identifying a topic or issue that you are interested in and passionate about. Then, conduct a literature review to see what research has already been done on the topic and identify any gaps or areas that need further exploration. You can also seek inspiration from current events, discussions with colleagues or mentors, or your own personal experiences.

3. How do I narrow down my research project idea?

Narrowing down a research project idea involves refining your focus and identifying a specific research question or problem to address. This can be done by conducting a more thorough literature review, consulting with experts in the field, or conducting a pilot study to test the feasibility of your idea. It is important to make sure your research question is clear, specific, and can be answered through your chosen research methods.

4. Can I change my research project idea once I have started?

Yes, it is common for research project ideas to evolve or change as you conduct your study. You may encounter unexpected challenges or new information that leads you to modify your research question or methods. However, it is important to consult with your advisor or research team before making any significant changes to ensure that your project remains focused and feasible.

5. How do I know if my research project idea is original?

To determine if your research project idea is original, you can conduct a thorough literature review and consult with experts in the field. This will help you identify any previous research that has been done on the topic and ensure that your idea is not just a replication of existing studies. Additionally, you can discuss your idea with your advisor or research team to get their feedback and ensure that your project is unique and original.