Slit diffraction with a beam of spatially distributed intensity

In summary, the conversation discusses the classic slit-diffraction experiment where light is diffracted by two narrow slits on a screen. It is noted that the light incident on the slits is not always uniform, leading to a spatial distribution of intensity. The attempt at a solution involves summing the diffracted bits of electric field and using trigonometric identities to simplify the equation, but it is not possible to simplify it further. The need for vector notation and taking the real part of the result is also mentioned.
shyree

Homework Statement

I have the classic slit-diffraction experiment, where light is incident on two narrow slits on a screen and is diffracted to create a pattern of maxima and minima on the far surface. It is usually assumed that the light incident on the slits is uniform. In practice, the light generally varies a little bit, i.e. you have a spatial distribution of intensity rather than one intensity, so the intensity of the incident light through each slit is a little bit different.

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by summing the diffracted bits of electric field:

E = E(0)e^i(kr - wt) + E(0)e^i(k(r + dsin(theta)) - wt) + E(0)e^i(k(r + 2dsin(theta)) - wt)...

If all the E(0)'s are the same, they can be pulled out from the exponential, and then the exponential can be summed alone and a trig identity used to change it into an equation with sines instead of e^1(thing)'s. If they're all different...

E = Ae^i(kr - wt) + Be^i(k(r + dsin(theta)) - wt) + Ce^i(k(r + (N-1)dsin(theta)) - wt)

let (phi) = kdsin(theta)

E = e^i(kr - wt)*(A + Be^i(phi) + Ce^i2(phi))

and I can't get it to simplify any more than that. Is there a way to get this into a form with sines and cosines? Failing that, is there a way to graph this as-is to get the distribution pattern? I haven't been able to find any graphing software that'll play nice with e^i factors.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't you need to make those r's into (r-r0)'s (vectorwise)? You refer to a 2-slit problem in your problem statement, but in your solution you are dealing with multiple slits. You should take the real part of the result, which will be a sum of products of sines and cosines.

1. What is slit diffraction with a beam of spatially distributed intensity?

Slit diffraction with a beam of spatially distributed intensity is a phenomenon that occurs when a beam of light passes through a narrow slit and spreads out due to interference with itself. The intensity of the beam is also not uniform, with some areas having higher intensity than others.

2. How does slit diffraction with a beam of spatially distributed intensity differ from traditional diffraction?

In traditional diffraction, a beam of light passes through a narrow slit and spreads out into a series of bright and dark fringes. However, in slit diffraction with a beam of spatially distributed intensity, the beam does not produce distinct fringes but instead creates a continuous distribution of intensity across the diffraction pattern.

3. What factors affect the diffraction pattern in slit diffraction with a beam of spatially distributed intensity?

The diffraction pattern in slit diffraction with a beam of spatially distributed intensity is affected by the width of the slit, the wavelength of the light, and the distance between the slit and the screen where the pattern is observed. The intensity distribution can also be influenced by the shape and size of the beam.

4. How can slit diffraction with a beam of spatially distributed intensity be used in scientific research?

Slit diffraction with a beam of spatially distributed intensity can be used to study the properties of light, such as its wavelength and diffraction behavior. It can also be used to analyze the structure of materials, as the pattern produced can provide information about the size and spacing of particles or molecules in a sample.

5. Are there any real-world applications of slit diffraction with a beam of spatially distributed intensity?

Yes, slit diffraction with a beam of spatially distributed intensity is used in various fields, such as astronomy, microscopy, and spectroscopy. It is also used in the design and analysis of optical instruments, such as cameras and telescopes, to improve their performance and resolution.