Linear transformation and its matrix

In summary, you can find the matrix representing the linear transformation by solving for the vectors in the first basis that are in the same position as the new vectors in the second basis, and subtracting.
lukaszh
Hello everybody,
I have a problem. There is a linear trasformation [tex]\xi:\mathbb{R}^2\mapsto\mathbb{R}^2[/tex] and:
[tex]\xi\begin{pmatrix}3\\1\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}2\\-4\end{pmatrix}[/tex]
[tex]\xi\begin{pmatrix}1\\1\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}0\\2\end{pmatrix}[/tex]
How to find a matrix for this linear transformation for basis [tex]\mathcal{B}=\left\{\begin{pmatrix}1\\2\end{pmatrix},\begin{pmatrix}2\\1\end{pmatrix}\right\}[/tex]

Thank you so much :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
There are a number of ways to do this. What have you tried so far? In general if you have a finite dimensional vector space V with a basis [tex]\{ e_{1},e_{2},...,e_{n}\}[/tex] the components of a linear transformation [tex]T:V\rightarrow V[/tex] are uniquely determined by [tex]Te_{i}=T^{j}_{i}e_{j}[/tex] where the sum over j from 1 to n is implied. Furthermore, if you have a second basis [tex]\{f_1,f_2,...,f_n\}[/tex] then the new and old basis vectors are related through [tex]e_{i}=A^{j}_{i}f_{j}[/tex].

lukaszh said:
Hello everybody,
I have a problem. There is a linear trasformation [tex]\xi:\mathbb{R}^2\mapsto\mathbb{R}^2[/tex] and:
[tex]\xi\begin{pmatrix}3\\1\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}2\\-4\end{pmatrix}[/tex]
[tex]\xi\begin{pmatrix}1\\1\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}0\\2\end{pmatrix}[/tex]
How to find a matrix for this linear transformation for basis [tex]\mathcal{B}=\left\{\begin{pmatrix}1\\2\end{pmatrix},\begin{pmatrix}2\\1\end{pmatrix}\right\}[/tex]

Thank you so much :-)
Write each of the vectors in B in terms of the first basis, <3, 1>, and <1, 1>, so that you can apply the linear transformation to them. For example, <1, 2>= a<3, 1>+ b<1, 1>= <3a+ b, a+ b>. 3a+ b= 1, a+ b= 2. Subtracting the second equation from the first, 2a= -1 so a= -1/2. Then b= 5/2: <1, 2>= (-1/2)<3,1>+ (5/2)<1, 1>. Applying the [itex]\xi[/itex] to that, [itex]\xi[/itex]<1, 2>= (-1/2)[itex]\xi[/itex]<3,1>+ (5/2)[itex]\xi[/itex]<1,1>= (-1/2)<2, -4>+ (5/2)<0, 2>= <-1, 1>. Now write that in terms of <1, 2> and <2, 1>: <-1, 1>= a<1, 2>+ b<2, 1>= <a+ 2b, 2a+ b>. a+ 2b= -1 and 2a+ b= 1. Subtracting twice the first equation from the second, -3b= 3 so b= -1. Then a= 1. [itex]\xi[/itex]<1, 2>= (1)<1, 2>+ (-1)<2, 1> so the first column of the matrix representing [itex]\xi[/itex] in this basis is [1 -1].

Do the same with <2, 1> to find the second column.

Thank you both very much :-)

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps a set of input values to a set of output values in a linear way. This means that the output values are directly proportional to the input values.

2. How is a linear transformation represented?

A linear transformation can be represented using a matrix. The columns of the matrix represent the coefficients of the variables in the input values, and the rows represent the coefficients of the variables in the output values.

3. What is the relationship between a linear transformation and its matrix representation?

The matrix representation of a linear transformation is a compact way of representing the function and its properties. The matrix contains all the necessary information to perform the transformation, such as the scaling and rotation of the input values.

4. How is a linear transformation applied to a set of input values?

To apply a linear transformation to a set of input values, we simply multiply the matrix representation of the transformation by the column vector of the input values. This will give us the resulting output values.

5. What are some real-world applications of linear transformations and their matrices?

Linear transformations and their matrices are used in many fields, such as computer graphics, economics, and engineering. They are used to model and solve problems involving scaling, rotation, and translation of data. For example, in computer graphics, linear transformations are used to transform 3D objects and scenes into 2D images for display on a screen.