Angular and linear acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses the construction of an Atwood machine and calculating the linear acceleration of hanging masses. The net force on the system is found by subtracting the weight forces of the hanging masses. The moment of inertia of the pulley is taken into account when calculating the force equation. After drawing a free body diagram, the correct calculation for the linear acceleration is found.
celeramo

Homework Statement

An Atwood machine is constructed using a
hoop with spokes of negligible mass. The
2.4 kg mass of the pulley is concentrated on
its rim, which is a distance 20.9 cm from the
axle. The mass on the right is 1.36 kg and on
the left is 1.79 kg.
What is the magnitude of the linear accel-
eration of the hanging masses? The accelera-
tion of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2

Answer in units of m/s^2

Homework Equations

F=ma
[tex]\tau[/tex]=I [tex]\alpha[/tex]
[tex]\alpha[/tex] R=v

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok I found the net force action on the system as the difference of the two weight forces so:
F1=1.79*9.8=17.542N F2=1.36*9.8=13.328N
Fnet=4.214N

Now I said that F=ma, but since the wheel has a mass, and thus a moment of inertia I said:
F=(m1+m2)a+I[tex]\alpha[/tex] where m1 and m2 are the weights and I is the moment of inertia and alpha is the angular acceleration of the wheel
I think this is probably where I am mistaken...but continuing from here

I=mr^2=2.4*(.209^2)=.104834

and I say a=[tex]\alpha[/tex]r

4.214=(3.15 kg)a+I*a/r
4.214=3.15a+.501598a => 4.214=(3.6516)a
a=1.15402 m/s^2

and needless to say this is incorrect :(

Any help would be wonderful! Thanks a lot

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 416
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to draw a FBD for each of the three bodies (two falling masses and the wheel) and let that guide you to writing your equations.

Ok, I have figured it out by drawing a FBD and treating the weights as torques on the wheel. But I am still curious and would like to know at what point what I attempted becomes invalid?

I'll let you figure that out.

1. What is the difference between angular and linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration refers to the rate of change of angular velocity, which is the speed at which an object rotates around a fixed axis. Linear acceleration, on the other hand, refers to the rate of change of linear velocity, which is the speed at which an object moves in a straight line.

2. How are angular and linear acceleration related?

Angular and linear acceleration are related through the radius of rotation. The linear acceleration of an object can be calculated by multiplying its angular acceleration by the radius of rotation. This relationship is known as the tangential acceleration, and it describes how the linear speed of an object changes as it rotates around a fixed axis.

3. What is the unit of measurement for angular and linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s²), while linear acceleration is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²). Both units represent the change in velocity per unit time, but in different directions.

4. How can angular and linear acceleration be calculated?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. Linear acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in linear velocity by the change in time. Alternatively, both can be calculated by using the appropriate equations of motion for rotational or linear motion.

5. What are some real-world examples of angular and linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration can be observed in objects such as spinning tops, Ferris wheels, and planets orbiting around the sun. Linear acceleration can be seen in objects such as cars accelerating or decelerating, roller coasters moving up or down a hill, or a person running at a constant speed.