Is Being Born Human a Coincidence or Something More?

• Thread starter saln1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Human
In summary, The conversation discusses the concept of chance and luck in regards to being born as a human rather than any other living organism on Earth. The participants contemplate the incredible odds against being born at all and the idea that being born as a human vs any other creature is simply a matter of chance. They also discuss the idea of identity and how it is shaped by our physical makeup. The conclusion is that we are all miracles of nature, regardless of what form we take.
saln1
This is my first post, so sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I just came across an article which stated "At any time, it is estimated that there are some 10 quintillion (10,000,000,000,000,000,000) individual insects alive."

Now, this got me thinking about the number of humans on Earth vs all other living creatures. Let's say for arguments sake that humans are outnumbered by non human organisms by (say) 1 quadrillion to 1. Does this imply that I was extraordinarily lucky to be born a human, rather than an insect or bird and so on...? Surely I could have been born as anything on this planet, but by chance I was born a human...

Was this just some coincidence whereby I defied the unfathomable odds, or is there more to it?

Physics news on Phys.org
The chance to ask this question and not be a human is 0%, so you aren't lucky in any way, you simply couldn't ask this as a non human. But then you can ask, was it coincidence that you are just you and not your friend for example. I would say (the following is a personal viewpoint of course) you are you, because you are exactly this combination and order of atoms and neurons, if you change them somehow you would become other unity. For example if you could save your physical state when you were 6 years old and you could load it now you'll become this kid again. If someone clones you, your clone will not feel like "your clone", but exactly like you. Basically you are something different every millisecond that passes, because your brain and body structures are changing.

We are all miracles of nature. The odds against us even being born are stupendous. We had to win the sperm swim lottery [~500 million to one] just to make it here in the first place. So, biologically speaking, each of us are incredibly improbable creatures. I find that amazing and humbling.

saln1 said:
Was this just some coincidence whereby I defied the unfathomable odds, or is there more to it?

I'd say the only odds you defied was being born vs not. The human part is irrelevant to the question. If 'you' were born a bug, you wouldn't be 'you', so you never had any chance of being a bug.

1. What are the main differences between humans and non-human organisms?

Humans and non-human organisms have several key differences. Firstly, humans have a highly developed brain and advanced cognitive abilities, while non-human organisms may have varying levels of intelligence. Additionally, humans possess the ability to communicate using complex languages and have developed cultures and societies, which non-human organisms do not exhibit. Physically, humans have a bipedal posture, opposable thumbs, and a hairless body compared to the wide variety of body structures and adaptations seen in non-human organisms.

2. How are humans and non-human organisms related?

All living organisms on Earth share a common ancestor and are therefore related in some way. Humans and non-human organisms are both part of the domain Eukaryota, meaning they have cells with a nucleus and membrane-bound organelles. Within Eukaryota, humans are classified as animals, specifically primates, while non-human organisms can be plants, fungi, or animals from other taxonomic groups such as insects or birds.

3. What makes humans unique compared to non-human organisms?

One of the main things that make humans unique is our advanced cognitive abilities, including the ability to think abstractly, use complex language, and create and use tools. Humans also have a highly developed prefrontal cortex, which is responsible for decision-making, problem-solving, and social behavior. Additionally, humans have a larger and more complex brain structure compared to most non-human organisms.

4. Can humans interbreed with non-human organisms?

No, humans cannot interbreed with non-human organisms. While some species may share a common ancestor, the genetic differences between humans and non-human organisms are too great for successful interbreeding. Interbreeding between different species is rare and usually only occurs in very closely related species, such as some species of birds or primates.

5. How have humans evolved compared to non-human organisms?

Humans have evolved in many ways compared to non-human organisms. One significant difference is the development of a larger and more complex brain, which has allowed humans to adapt to a wide range of environments and develop advanced cognitive abilities. Humans also have a unique upright posture and bipedal locomotion, which has allowed for the development of more advanced tools and technology. Additionally, humans have evolved a highly developed social and cultural system, which has played a crucial role in our survival and success as a species.