Religion Poll: Share Your Beliefs Here

In summary, a poll on religion could not be posted, but participants shared their beliefs and affiliations. These included Unitarian Universalism, atheism, Satanism, Pythagoreanism, Scientology, Christian Atheism, Pastafarianism, FSMism, Discordianism, Agnosticism, Sex, Kamasutra, belief in Greg Bernhardt, and non-practicing Judaism. Some participants also discussed the relationship between Christian values and belief in God, and the different types of atheism and secular humanism. One participant also mentioned starting a Church. The thread remained open despite its controversial subject matter.
27Thousand said:
I kind of thought that at first when I heard the term a few years ago, then I came across Christian Atheism http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_atheist" and realized there are many types of beliefs.

Also, there are Agnostic Christian Atheists, basically combining an agnostic atheist with a Christian atheist. For agnostic atheism http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnostic_atheism"

I've found parallels between my (atheist) views and http://www.secularhumanism.org/" , an organization that seeks to address the following:

Atheism and agnosticism are silent on larger questions of values and meaning. If Meaning in life is not ordained from on high, what small-m meanings can we work out among ourselves? If eternal life is an illusion, how can we make the most of our only lives? As social beings sharing a godless world, how should we coexist?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a Baptist and proud of it!

I am an Atheistic Rational Buddhist.

If other people can make up religions so can I.

A.R.B. I like that !
I think I will start a Church.

This thread hasn’t been locked yet?

Why it this thread tagged with "wee"?

DaveC426913 said:
I'm not sure if sex counts as a religion.

My creators engaged in the sex to bring about my creation, and their creators before that. My Prime Creators were the first people to have the sex in my bloodline. All hail the sex! The sex is creation!

^^ wow, lots of posts.

I forgot to tell everyone what my personal beliefs were. I am a strong Atheist.
anonymously hung posters around my school with the atheist bus slogans once... fun fun

Pop culturist. Anything and everything in the tabloids, commercials and billboards pretty much sums up my beliefs.

Agnostic. I do not believe that god exists, nor do I believe that god does not exist. I more or less see the question as irrelevant since it is unknowable (in my estimation) and most people would probably call me an atheist.

Roman Catholic. I believe in god, but I also believe in science.

rootX said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamasutra" :biggrin:

That's a dangerous book. Why, if two of the pages stuck together, you could break a leg.

PS. I'm an atheist, of the friendly variety.

sylas said:
That's a dangerous book. Why, if two of the pages stuck together, you could break a leg.

:rofl:

Straight up Christian.

MotoH said:
... I believe in God, but I also believe in science.

I really want to understand this part

drizzle said:
MotoH said:
... I believe in God, but I also believe in science.

Many scientists were religious believers such as Johann Kepler (1571-1630) who
stated that in his astronomy research, he was merely `thinking God's thoughts after Him.

One way they saw no conflict between a belief in God and the scientific method is to understand the laws of science as being God's laws of creation, that is understanding God as the author and guarantor of the laws of science.

Of course such an approach necessitates understanding Genesis in a non-literal sense, as originally intended.

Garth

Last edited:
drizzle said:

And here I just figured you meant you wished you could understand science.

I can understand Garth's interpretation though.

There are those that see that there's at least one religion that ignores important principles of science (such as evolution) and conclude everyone that believes in God does not believe in science.

And then there are those that believe there is at least one sheep in Scotland that is black on at least one side.

IBTL. I give this thread one or two days at most. For the record - I am a deist.

BobG said:
And here I just figured you meant you wished you could understand science.

:rofl: ... okay that was funny, but for SURE that's not what I meant :grumpy:

drizzle said:

This is a type of cognitive dissonance as known in psychology, where one can hold contradictory beliefs in ones head.

waht said:
This is a type of cognitive dissonance as known in psychology, where one can hold contradictory beliefs in ones head.

Cognitive dissonance is the feeling or emotion caused by holding contradictory beliefs in one's head.

Ivan Seeking said:
In formal terms: Semi-militant agnostic.

Wrong. An agnostic neither believes nor disbelieves in the existence of a supreme being. I uncompromisingly deny even the remote possibility thereof.

Well.. I wasn't raised in any particular religion, I don't really believe in organized religion and I don't necessarly believe in one thing in terms of religion. I agree with parts of pretty much every religion.

If I had to pick one, or make one up, I'd say either wiccan, buddhism, or a mixture of both. So maybe wicchism? haha... I would probably pick buddhism because the entire religion isn't based around a 'God'. It's based on choices you should make in life based on what is 'best' or 'the right thing to do'. You don't do it because 'God' wants to you or that it will get you into heaven. You do it to reach Nirvana, which is a state of being free from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dukkha" [or dukkha] by following the Noble Eightfold Path.

In any case! The fact that it's not based around any sort of deity or God is what draws me to it.

Wicca because of my belief in the manipulation/useage of life energies. This kind of follows buddhisms interpretation of Ki, which I believe in as well.

I would just like to point out, that the christian bible was not written as absolute truth, but was written as a book of stories on how humans should behave(IE help each other out, be kind, give to the poor and helpless, et cetera, et cetera.)

There was a man named Jesus, its historical fact. Wether or not he cured a blind man is a matter of opinion.

Since when can a person believe in a "God" and not believe in science? I never knew there was a rule that said that.

Danger said:
Wrong. An agnostic neither believes nor disbelieves in the existence of a supreme being. I uncompromisingly deny even the remote possibility thereof.

"Agnosticism is the view that the truth value of certain claims—especially claims about the existence of any deity, but also other religious and metaphysical claims—is unknown or unknowable.[1] Agnosticism can be defined in various ways, and is sometimes used to indicate doubt or a skeptical approach to questions. In some senses, agnosticism is a stance about the differences between belief and knowledge, rather than about any specific claim or belief. As such, the term agnostic does not necessarily signal a particular view about religion or a deity, as some agnostics also identify as theists or atheists."

-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism"

To support your point.

Although being an atheist is a form of agnosticism, so I don't think it really matters much which one you say, except to the general understanding of the populace.

MotoH said:
I would just like to point out, that the christian bible was not written as absolute truth, but was written as a book of stories on how humans should behave(IE help each other out, be kind, give to the poor and helpless, et cetera, et cetera.)

There was a man named Jesus, its historical fact. Wether or not he cured a blind man is a matter of opinion.

Since when can a person believe in a "God" and not believe in science? I never knew there was a rule that said that.

The following comment will probably get this thread locked. (However I believe the above is sufficient to warrnt a lock anyway as you are stating to push details).

The bible also advocates, slavery, murder, rape and pillage in the 'name of god' or by gods direct command. Not really something to live by.

ALL religions generally have a 'code of conduct' that ALL say basically the same thing.

Only the characters are different.

Kronos5253 said:
I don't think it really matters much which one you say, except to the general understanding of the populace.

That's precisely why I use the terminology that I do. To almost anyone, the term 'agnostic' implies some openness to the subject which inevitably leads to someone trying to tell me what I believe.

MotoH said:

You should really check up the definition of "science" first. By definition, you cannot scientifically claim to believe in God. I think everybody here, religious or not, would agree with that.

Agnostic.

This thread seems to moving towards value judgements of belief systems, and Physics Forums rules state
Discussions that assert the a priori truth or falsity of religious dogmas and belief systems, or value judgments stemming from such religious belief systems, will not be tolerated.

I have closed the thread.