Surprising Silence on Today's Topic

• Thread starter yyttr2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Topic
In summary, the conversation mainly focused on the winter solstice and people's reactions to it. Some mentioned the mixed feelings of longer days but still having to endure winter. Others shared their plans for winter activities such as skiing and celebrating the solstice. There was also mention of other celebrations during this time, like Yule and Christmas. Some also discussed the tradition of burning a giant straw goat in a Swedish city.
yyttr2
I am surprised no one made at least one thread about this today.

Physics news on Phys.org

Winter Solstice is sort of a mixed bag...on the one hand, the days start getting longer. On the other hand, we still have to slog through winter.

Ah well, it's not so bad, now that I live in the Seattle area (not in Fairbanks anymore...whew!). I hope to get up to the ski lifts at least several times this year.

Happy Solstice!

Last edited:

Yes! Mid-way point in winter -- inch by inch we'll regain sun hours. A friend of mine told me that we'll have one more minute of daylight tomorrow than we did today. I can't wait!

Happy Winter Solstice!

GeorginaS said:
inch by inch we'll regain sun hours.

Yes, so sad.

I still think I should move to Oregon.

Merry Solstice.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Yes, so sad.

I still think I should move to Oregon.

Merry Solstice.

So sad, yes, because currently we have about 5.5 hours worth of daylight each day. (Although I have been in Yellowknife when the sun rose at 11:30 a.m. and set at 1:00 p.m. for a grand total of about an hour and a half of daylight per day. We won't even talk about what kind of cold they get up there. Suffice to say, it's really disorienting to when it's pitch dark out at 2:30 in the afternoon.)

A mid-winter celebration because of the sun and moon makes all the sense in the world to me.

hmmm...is that what we call "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yalda" poems and eating stuff like fruits,watermelon,...:biggrin:

Oh anyway happy Solstice!:smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

Happy and Merry Winter Solstice for those north of the equator, and a Happy and Merry Summer Solstice to those south of the equator.

Is anyone going to participate in Yule celebrations tonight? It's time to celebrate the rebirth of the Horned God.

"Turn the wheel again, a new beginning, another end..."

I believe this time last year it had been -20F for about 1.5 weeks, currently its only 27F, and the low has only been single digits. Oddly too it seems sunny then last year, the days were overcast if I recall.

Scary Solstice!

Merry Solstice to all!

(And Happy Birthday to Kimberli, wherever you are. :wink:)

Ya Hoo !

More SUN ! I love more sun. Happy Solstice to all :)

yyttr2 said:
I am surprised no one made at least one thread about this today.

I prefer to celebrate perigee.

(January 3rd this winter for those curious).

merry christmas, happy hanukkah, happy/merry whatever else you so wish.

Is it Yule Goat time?

Boo Christmas, Hurray Solstice.

I LOVE the spring equinox, when the days are gaining sunlight rapidly. Winter solstice - not so much. We already have too much snow for my liking, and there's more to come tonight and tomorrow.

My wife and I are perusing seed catalogs and planning what to plant in our mini-greenhouse this spring. Cabin fever "entertainment".

Evo said:
Is it Yule Goat time?
Swedish Christmas straw goat burns again
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091223/ap_on_fe_st/eu_sweden_christmas_goat

STOCKHOLM – A giant straw goat was burned down yet again early Wednesday in a Swedish city where torching it has become a Christmas tradition, to the dismay of local leaders.

Gavle city spokeswoman Anna Ostman said someone set fire to the 43-foot-high (13-meter-high) creature around 3 a.m. local time. Only a charred wooden skeleton of the traditional Swedish Christmas symbol remained on Wednesday morning.

. . . .

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is "Surprising Silence on Today's Topic"?

"Surprising Silence on Today's Topic" is a phrase that refers to a lack of discussion or attention on a certain subject, even though it may be important or relevant.

2. Why is there a surprising silence on today's topic?

The reasons for a surprising silence on today's topic can vary. It could be due to lack of interest, fear of backlash, or simply not having enough information or understanding about the topic.

3. How does surprising silence affect the scientific community?

Surprising silence on a topic can have a significant impact on the scientific community. It may hinder progress and hinder the exchange of ideas and information, ultimately slowing down scientific advancements.

4. Can surprising silence on a topic be beneficial?

In some cases, surprising silence on a topic can be beneficial. It can give researchers and scientists the opportunity to delve deeper into the topic without the pressure of public scrutiny, leading to more accurate and reliable findings.

5. How can we break the surprising silence on today's topic?

To break the surprising silence on a topic, it is important to create a safe and open environment for discussion and exchange of ideas. This can be achieved through promoting diversity and inclusivity in the scientific community and encouraging open-mindedness and acceptance of different perspectives.