Can a Photon be deflected by Magnetic and Electric Field?

In summary, photons cannot be deflected by either electric or magnetic fields. However, if you connect one of the photon lines to a real electron, you get the diagram that describes the splitting of a photon due to interaction with a charge. This would suggest that there may be a nonreciprocity in the velocity of light.
utsav55

Homework Statement

Can a Photon be deflected by Magnetic Field and Electric Field?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Photon cannot be deflected by either, as it has no electric charge.

Physics news on Phys.org
Correct, the photon has no charge or mass (although it has a spin!), so it can't be deflected. The photon itself is the propagation of a sinusoidal magnetic and electric field.

Zhivago said:
Correct, the photon has no charge or mass (although it has a spin!), so it can't be deflected. The photon itself is the propagation of a sinusoidal magnetic and electric field.

thank you

Almost correct. Heisenberg and Euler were the first to give the correct answer to this question http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0605038" in 1936.

A modern treatment can be found http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-ph/9806417"

Last edited by a moderator:
This question amounts to whether photon-photon scattering can occur, I think. I'm no expert, but I see no reason why the answer should not include this graph: http://colinfahey.com/eclectic_images_2002/gg-scat.jpg

Obviously, there's no tree level diagram cause there's no A^4 in the QED lagrangian, but I can't see why the above diagram wouldn't be allowed.

chrispb said:
This question amounts to whether photon-photon scattering can occur, I think. I'm no expert, but I see no reason why the answer should not include this graph: http://colinfahey.com/eclectic_images_2002/gg-scat.jpg

Obviously, there's no tree level diagram cause there's no A^4 in the QED lagrangian, but I can't see why the above diagram wouldn't be allowed.

That's right and this gives rise other effects as well. If you connect one of the photon lines to a real electron, you get the diagram that describes the splitting of a photon due to interaction with a charge (rather than mere Compton scattering). Computing the amplitude is an exercise in the book by Itzykson Zuber.

I would like to catch your attention to the following recent article.
http://prl.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v106/i19/e193003

The abstract is the following.

"We report the direct observation of the nonreciprocity of the velocity of light, induced by electric and magnetic fields. This bilinear magneto-electro-optical effect appears in crossed electric and magnetic fields perpendicular to the light wave vector, as a refractive index difference between two counterpropagating directions. Using a high finesse ring cavity, we have measured this magnetoelectric nonreciprocity in molecular nitrogen at ambient temperature and atmospheric pressure; for light polarized parallel to the magnetic field it is 2η∥exp⁡(N2)=(4.7±1)×10-23  m V-1 T-1 for λ=1064  nm, in agreement with the expected order of magnitude. Our measurement opens the way to a deeper insight into light-matter interaction beyond the electric dipole approximation. We were able to measure a nonreciprocity as small as Δn=(5±2)×10-18, which makes its observation in quantum vacuum a conceivable challenge."

It has been reported as being a first experimental evidence of a possibility for photon-photon collision, here.

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-05-when-the-speed-of-light.html

Cheers,
Thibault

A lot of this nonsense about photons doing one thing when you're looking at them and another if you're not is explained by the interaction of light and photons. In other words, you need light to see so yeah, they act differently if they are somehow sensitive to light.

(Another bit of nonsense is the Schroedinger's Cat thing. Schroedinger intended this as an illustration of some of the absurdities promulgated back then in quantum mechanics. But most peole seemingly took him literally and believe that the poor cat really IS neither dead nor alive until the box is opened.)

Am I boring anyone yet? :-)

1. Can a photon be deflected by a magnetic field?

Yes, a photon can be deflected by a magnetic field. This is known as the Faraday effect, where the magnetic field causes the photon's electric field to oscillate, resulting in a change in direction.

2. Can a photon be deflected by an electric field?

Yes, a photon can also be deflected by an electric field. This is known as the Stark effect, where the electric field interacts with the photon's electric charge, causing a change in direction.

3. How do magnetic and electric fields interact with photons?

Magnetic and electric fields interact with photons through the electromagnetic force. This force is responsible for the movement and behavior of charged particles, including photons.

4. What is the difference between the deflection of a photon in a magnetic field and an electric field?

The main difference is that a photon's deflection in a magnetic field is due to its electric field oscillating, while in an electric field, it is due to the interaction between the photon's electric charge and the field. Additionally, the strength and direction of the deflection may vary depending on the strength and orientation of the field.

5. Can a photon be deflected by both a magnetic and electric field at the same time?

Yes, a photon can be deflected by both a magnetic and electric field simultaneously. This is known as the Zeeman effect, where both fields interact with the photon at the same time, resulting in a more complex deflection pattern.