Define Circle Knowing Two Points and ARC LENGTH Only.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equation of a circle given two points and the arc length between them. Two methods are mentioned - Newton's approximation method and a Taylor expansion. A sketch is provided to illustrate the basic trigonometry involved.
Ryank
I am having trouble doing exactly what the title says. I have two points and the arc length between them (this is a bending beam type of a situation). Essentially I know where the ends of the beam are and how long the bent beam is and I need to get the equation of the circle. And yes I realize there would be two distinct solutions depending on positive of negative curvature. Any help would be amazing, thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Ryank said:
I am having trouble doing exactly what the title says. I have two points and the arc length between them (this is a bending beam type of a situation). Essentially I know where the ends of the beam are and how long the bent beam is and I need to get the equation of the circle. And yes I realize there would be two distinct solutions depending on positive of negative curvature. Any help would be amazing, thanks!

What is the context of the question? Could you post a sketch? Thanks.

There doesn't really need to be a context. You know the length of a chord on the circle and the length of the arc segment between them. I did some digging and did finally manage to find two solutions. One uses Newton's approximation method and the other uses and taylor expansion:

http://norman.rasmussen.co.za/24/radius-from-arc-and-chord-length/
http://www.mathforum.com/dr.math/faq/faq.circle.segment.html#1

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like case 1 from Dr. Math that requires Newton's Method is the most straightforward.

Last edited:
Perhaps this sketch will help, it's basic trigonometry.

Since you have fixed two points on the circumference you not only know the arc length you also know the chord length.

Attachments

• circle.jpg
    circle.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 522

1. What is the formula for finding the radius of a circle knowing two points and arc length?

The formula for finding the radius of a circle given two points and arc length is R = (L/2sin(θ)), where R is the radius, L is the arc length, and θ is the central angle in radians.

2. Can you explain how to find the central angle in radians using two points and arc length?

To find the central angle in radians, you can use the formula θ = L/R, where θ is the central angle, L is the arc length, and R is the radius. This formula can be derived from the arc length formula L = Rθ and converting degrees to radians.

3. Is it possible to find the coordinates of the center of the circle using only two points and arc length?

Yes, it is possible to find the coordinates of the center of the circle using two points and arc length. By finding the radius and central angle, you can use the coordinates of the two points and the central angle to find the coordinates of the center using trigonometric functions.

4. How does the arc length affect the size of the circle when using two points and arc length?

The arc length directly affects the size of the circle when using two points and arc length. A larger arc length will result in a larger circle, while a smaller arc length will result in a smaller circle. This is because the arc length is directly proportional to the radius of the circle.

5. Are there any limitations to using only two points and arc length to define a circle?

Yes, there are limitations to using only two points and arc length to define a circle. This method can only be used for circles where the two points lie on the circumference of the circle and the arc length is less than the circumference of the circle. It cannot be used for circles with a diameter greater than the distance between the two points.