What are some common thermoelectric materials and their properties?

In summary: What should I do if the voltage is too low?If the voltage is too low, you can use a higher wattage soldering iron. You can also increase the temperature of the wire.
zynko
I wanted to do an experiment that had to deal with thermoeletric materials, and the out but of electricity. Does anyone know of a common thermoelectric material? Maybe somthing around the house? If not then just name off what you know. I want to see the output of electricity compared to the mass, volume, and temp of a thermoelectric amterial.

Physics news on Phys.org
what do oyu mean, like copper?

Well, a thermoelectric material turns heat into electricity. that's what i mean.

You need two different conductors. In principle, any two different conductors can do. But some alloys have been developped so that they provide greater responses, or linear ones for specific temprerature ranges. The specific alloys that are used may be difficult to come by. If you only use one material for a thermoelectric effect, you can't really measure a good voltage because your probes will be at different temperatures.

A first experiment could be two try out whichever metal wires are available to you. Hold the wires parallel to each other, twist them together at one end (many twists for a good contact) so that you have a Y-shape. Heat the twisted end and meaure the voltage between the cold ends.

Thanks for your help guys, especially Gonzolo. I'll try to the thing with two wires and see what i get out of that.

This provides a voltage, but not an accurate one :

Take a small piece of metal (a staple, a dime, etc) and pinch your voltmeter probes at each end. Using a soldering iron and without touching, heat one end of the sample, near a probe. You should get a voltage. A small soldering iron is probably the most practical heat source for such experiments.

Omega has a great deal of information on thermocouples:

http://www.omega.com/

Though they do not have the best prices.

1. What are thermoelectric materials?

Thermoelectric materials are materials that have the ability to convert heat energy into electrical energy and vice versa. This phenomenon is known as the thermoelectric effect.

2. How do thermoelectric materials work?

Thermoelectric materials work by utilizing the thermoelectric effect, which is based on the principle that a temperature difference between two different materials can generate an electric voltage. This voltage can then be used to power devices or be converted into heat energy.

3. What are the applications of thermoelectric materials?

Thermoelectric materials have a wide range of applications, including power generation, refrigeration, and temperature sensing. They are commonly used in thermoelectric generators, thermoelectric coolers, and thermocouples.

4. What makes a good thermoelectric material?

A good thermoelectric material should have a high Seebeck coefficient, which measures the voltage produced per unit of temperature difference. It should also have a low thermal conductivity and high electrical conductivity to efficiently convert heat energy into electrical energy.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of thermoelectric materials?

One limitation of thermoelectric materials is their low efficiency compared to other power generation methods. Another limitation is their high cost, which makes them less practical for widespread use. However, ongoing research and advancements in technology are continuously improving the efficiency and cost-effectiveness of thermoelectric materials.