Computer Hardware Help: Fixing Issues with Keyboard

In summary, the user's computer was going slow and the music wouldn't play. He noticed that songs were being chosen down the list quickly and this is what slowed the computer. He tried restarting the computer and replacing the keyboard, but neither of those fixes the issue. He thought it might be a software problem and tested it with another music player and all was good. Finally, he decided to replace the keyboard.
Mentallic
Homework Helper
Just recently I was clicking through my itunes list and then my computer started going really slow and the music stopped. When I would switch to another window some random music started playing out of my list, then I'd switch back and it would stop again. I noticed that songs were being chosen down the list really quickly and this is what slowed my computer and wouldn't let any songs play. I couldn't click on one song without it jumping to the next and so forth.
I would restart my computer and then it would be fixed for a bit, but after having the computer on for an hour or so, it would happen again and I couldn't fix it without restarting. So I started pulling out plugs to pinpoint what hardware device is causing the issue, and it turns out that it's my keyboard. About a week ago my mate accidentally stepped on the end of the plug and squeezed the metal at the end of the usb drive so I couldn't fit my keyboard into a slot. I fixed it so it would fit again but it still looks bumpy in places.

What could be the problem and how could I fix it? Should I just replace my keyboard?

Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
It sounds like a software problem, actually. In your situation I would have been suspicious about iTunes itself, or perhaps some other program. Did you install or update anything recently? (Any chance you might have a virus?)

But anyway, I'd definitely suggest trying a new keyboard, or at least replacing the USB plug on your existing keyboard. It's just a good idea in general to have plugs that fit properly. If that fixes it, great. If not, maybe ask here.

iTunes is a bit of a resource hog as it is, and it can slow down your computer a lot, but if the keyboard is clearly giving you problems, it can't hurt to get a new keyboard as well.

I thought about that too but since when I unplug the keyboard everything seems to work fine, so that idea was scrapped. I tested it with another keyboard and all is good, so it is that keyboard that is faulty. Anyway could I replace the usb end without having to replace the entire keyboard? Because I'm fairly sure that is what caused the trouble.

And yes I've realized itunes is a huge resource hog, I really hate it, but I don't know what other music player to use...

I'm sure it's possible, but depending on what kind of keyboard it is, you may have to open it up and connect some wires yourself. (The alternative is that the cord may be unpluggable from the keyboard itself, but I don't think there are many keyboards like that) If you're not comfortable with rewiring the thing, it'll probably be cheapest to get a new one, and see if you can donate the old one to some electronics recycling center (basically anywhere where they have people with the technical expertise to fix it)

As far as music players go, iTunes certainly has some nice attributes but if you want to consider other options:
VLC
Winamp
AmaroK
Of course there are many many others, those are just the "big names" I can think of off the top of my head.

If it was as easy as red wire to red slot, I'd be in luck, but I doubt it :yuck:

I guess I'll go replace it then, thanks for the advice!

By the way, I never really use itunes' extra features other than shuffling through my list of music. I hope the other music players can handle this monstrous task :biggrin:

Yeah, usually once you have to unscrew things, the wires aren't so neatly color coded.

And I think it might be time for you to start seeing other music players :wink: VLC might be nice, actually - it doesn't try to manage your music library or anything, it just plays.

Can't believe I never thought about using another music player. I hate itunes enough since it has all these playlists options that I don't need, it takes forever to start up (I'd rather exaggerate here than say a more reasonable 20 seconds) and I can't play a game that is also a resource hog and listen to music at the same time without something giving way...

I'll check them out tomorrow once my internet renews itself because downloading with dialup speed can be a *****.

A great way to speed up Itunes is to remove all the info options that you don't need. I only use Song Title, Album, and length. Turn off all the others. Turning off music genius really helps too. I have a extreme pc, but that pc even has trouble running that poorly written program. These tweaks really helped out though in the lagging.

1. How do I fix a stuck key on my keyboard?

To fix a stuck key on your keyboard, first try gently pressing the key multiple times to see if it loosens. If that doesn't work, use a can of compressed air to clean around the key and remove any debris. You can also try using a small amount of rubbing alcohol on a cotton swab to clean the area around the stuck key. If the key is still stuck, it may need to be replaced.

2. Why is my keyboard not typing certain letters or numbers?

This could be caused by a few different issues. First, check to make sure there is no debris or dirt preventing the keys from functioning properly. You can also try restarting your computer or updating your keyboard drivers. If the issue persists, there may be a hardware problem with the keyboard itself and it may need to be replaced.

3. How do I fix a loose or wobbly key on my keyboard?

If your key feels loose or wobbly, it may have become detached from the keyboard. First, try gently pressing the key back into place. If that doesn't work, you may need to remove the key and reattach it using a keycap puller tool. If the issue continues, the key may need to be replaced.

4. How do I clean my keyboard?

To clean your keyboard, first turn off your computer and disconnect the keyboard. Use a can of compressed air to remove any debris or dust from between the keys. You can also use a cloth or cotton swab lightly dampened with rubbing alcohol to clean the keys and surface of the keyboard. Be sure to let the keyboard dry completely before reconnecting it to your computer.

5. Why is my keyboard not working at all?

If your keyboard is not working at all, there may be an issue with the connection between the keyboard and the computer. Check to make sure the keyboard is securely plugged in and try restarting your computer. If that doesn't work, there may be a problem with the keyboard itself and it may need to be replaced.