Solving Ellipse Question: x=f*Sin(wt+\theta), y=g*Sin(wt+\phi)

• Thread starter DarkEternal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ellipse
In summary, the equation can be cast into the familiar elliptical form if you remove the square root term from the inverse trig identity.
DarkEternal
Ack, such a simple question, but I haven't worked with conic sections in years. Can anyone suggest an elegant way to show that

[tex]x=f*Sin(wt+\theta)[/tex]
[tex]y=g*Sin(wt+\phi)[/tex]

is an ellipse? I've tried using a rotation matrix on standard parametric ellipse equations and then solving for the angle of rotation and the axes sizes in terms of the variables but it seems messy. Then I tried getting it to fit the general equation but I'm not sure how that would work. However, a simpler method is eluding me. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Some hints: This is not an upright ellipse like [itex]x^2/a^2+z^2/b^2=1[/itex], unless [itex]\phi-\theta=\pi/2[/itex]. But you can get it into that form by applying a transformation like z=y+kx, where k is a constant. By expanding the sines, find k in terms f, g, [itex]\phi[/itex] and [itex]\theta[/itex] (actually will depend only on [itex]\phi-\theta[/itex] and f/g), and you are there.

Can you clarify what you mean by a transformation of the form z=y+kx? what is y?

DarkEternal said:
Ack, such a simple question, but I haven't worked with conic sections in years. Can anyone suggest an elegant way to show that

[tex]x=f*Sin(wt+\theta)[/tex]
[tex]y=g*Sin(wt+\phi)[/tex]

is an ellipse? I've tried using a rotation matrix on standard parametric ellipse equations and then solving for the angle of rotation and the axes sizes in terms of the variables but it seems messy. Then I tried getting it to fit the general equation but I'm not sure how that would work. However, a simpler method is eluding me. Any help?

If you don't mind a little nonrigorous math you can try the following.

Rewriting your equations slightly:

[tex]x = A cos(\omega t + \alpha)[/tex]
[tex]y = B cos(\omega t + \beta)[/tex]

The second equation gives
[tex]\omega t = \cos ^{-1} \left(\frac {y}{B}\right) - \beta [/tex]

Substitute into the first equation:
[tex]x = A \cos( \cos ^{-1} \frac {y}{B} + \alpha - \beta)[/tex]

Use the addition formulas for cosine and the basic identities for the inverse trig function and the equation can be cast into the familiar elliptical form.

By familiar elliptical form, do you mean general form? I can't seem to get rid of that square root term from the inverse trig identity...

Rearrange terms to get the radical on one side of the equation then square both sides. The "general form" is [itex]ax^2+bxy+cy^2+d=0[/itex] and, depending on the signs and values of the various coefficients, will produce an ellipse, hyperbola or parabola.

I got it, but thanks for your replies.

1. What is the formula for solving an ellipse with the equation x=f*Sin(wt+\theta), y=g*Sin(wt+\phi)?

The formula for solving an ellipse with this equation involves using the general formula for an ellipse, which is (x/a)^2 + (y/b)^2 = 1, where a and b are the semi-major and semi-minor axes respectively. By comparing the given equation with the general formula, we can determine that a=f and b=g.

2. How do I find the center of the ellipse using the equation x=f*Sin(wt+\theta), y=g*Sin(wt+\phi)?

The center of an ellipse is given by the coordinates (h, k), where h and k are the x and y coordinates of the center respectively. In this equation, we can see that the center is at the origin (0,0) since there are no terms involving x or y.

3. What is the significance of the variables f, w, and θ in the equation x=f*Sin(wt+\theta), y=g*Sin(wt+\phi)?

The variable f represents the distance from the origin to the farthest point on the ellipse in the x-direction, also known as the semi-major axis. The variable w represents the angular frequency, which determines the rate at which the ellipse is traversed. Finally, the variable θ represents the phase shift, which determines the position of the ellipse along the x-axis at t=0.

4. How do I find the foci of the ellipse using the equation x=f*Sin(wt+\theta), y=g*Sin(wt+\phi)?

The foci of an ellipse are located at (c,0) and (-c,0), where c is the distance from the center to the foci. To find c, we can use the formula c^2 = a^2 - b^2, where a and b are the semi-major and semi-minor axes respectively. In this equation, c=f^2-g^2.

5. Can this equation be used to represent both horizontal and vertical ellipses?

Yes, this equation can be used to represent both horizontal and vertical ellipses. If the angle w is 90 degrees, the equation represents a horizontal ellipse, and if the angle w is 0 degrees, it represents a vertical ellipse. The angles θ and φ can also be adjusted to change the orientation of the ellipse.