Question on Euler's method - ODE

In summary, the given problem involves solving a differential equation with the initial condition y(0)=1 and step size h=.25. The solution method used is Euler's Method, and the first two approximations y1 and y2 are calculated to be 1 and .75, respectively. However, there may be some confusion with the organization of the book's answers.
cue928

Homework Statement

y' = y - x - 1, y(0) = 1, h = .25

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

y1 = 1+(.25)*(1-0-1) = 1
y2 = 1+(.25)*(1-1-1) = .75

This is not what the book has, but it is organized weird to me. It asks for EM twice, first w/ step size h=.25, then h=0.1. But the way the answers are listed in the back do not correspond with this so I am not sure what they are getting. Curious if folks agree w/ me here on y1, y2. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
cue928 said:

Homework Statement

y' = y - x - 1, y(0) = 1, h = .25

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

y1 = 1+(.25)*(1-0-1) = 1
y2 = 1+(.25)*(1-1-1) = .75

This is not what the book has, but it is organized weird to me. It asks for EM twice, first w/ step size h=.25, then h=0.1. But the way the answers are listed in the back do not correspond with this so I am not sure what they are getting. Curious if folks agree w/ me here on y1, y2. Thanks in advance.

Why are using using [itex]x_2=1[/itex]?

1. What is Euler's method?

Euler's method is a numerical method used to approximate the solution of a first-order ordinary differential equation (ODE). It involves dividing the interval of the ODE into smaller intervals and using the slope at a given point to estimate the next point on the curve.

2. When is Euler's method used?

Euler's method is used when an analytical solution to an ODE is not available or when it is difficult to solve analytically. It is also commonly used in computer programs to approximate the solution of ODEs.

3. What are the limitations of Euler's method?

Euler's method can introduce significant errors in the approximation, especially when the step size is large. It also cannot handle stiff ODEs, where the solution changes rapidly, and the step size needs to be very small to get an accurate approximation.

4. How is Euler's method implemented?

Euler's method is implemented by first choosing a starting point and a step size. Then, using the formula y_n+1 = y_n + h*f(x_n,y_n), where h is the step size and f(x_n,y_n) is the slope at the current point, the next point on the curve is estimated. This process is repeated until the desired interval is covered.

5. What are some alternative methods to Euler's method?

Some alternative methods to Euler's method include the improved Euler's method, the Runge-Kutta method, and the Adams-Bashforth method. These methods use more sophisticated calculations to provide more accurate approximations of the solution to ODEs.