Find Velocity of Electron: Combining Equations

• Thread starter Narv
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is seeking help in understanding how to combine equations to find the velocity of an electron. They have been provided with a final equation as a hint and are confused about why the equations can be combined. By conservation of energy, the potential difference used to accelerate the electron is converted into kinetic energy, allowing for the combination of the equations QΔV=½ mv2. The individual expresses gratitude and humor towards the expert summarizer.
Narv
I need to find the velocity of an electron, and the information i have is the Electrical Charge, Mass and voltage difference. The math itself won't be the problem, but combining the two equations below to give the third is driving me nuts.

I need someone to explain how Ek (kinetic energy) could equal ΔEe (change in electrical energy) so they can be combined, or if I am totaly wrong, a point in the right direction:

Ek = ½ mv²

ΔEe = QΔV

To give:

v = √2QΔV/m

I was provided the final equation by a friend as a hint, and the only two equations i can find with relevant values are the two above, so I think I'm along the right track. Its just the reason WHY they can be combined that's confusing me.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
By conservation of energy, the pd used to speed up the electron is converted into KE.

hence QΔV=½ mv2

rock.freak667 said:
By conservation of energy, the pd used to speed up the electron is converted into KE.

hence QΔV=½ mv2

You, Sir, are a wonderful human being, and will have the finest of riches, the most beautiful of women and the highest prestige when I accomplish world domination.

I also owe you a beer.

Thank you very much :)

Narv said:
You, Sir, are a wonderful human being, and will have the finest of riches, the most beautiful of women and the highest prestige when I accomplish world domination.

:rofl::rofl: I've never heard that one before!

The reason these equations can be combined is because they both represent different forms of energy. Kinetic energy (Ek) is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion, while electrical energy (ΔEe) is the energy associated with the movement of charged particles in an electric field. In this case, the electron is moving through a voltage difference (ΔV), which creates an electric field that causes the electron to accelerate.

By combining these equations, you are essentially equating the kinetic energy of the electron (½ mv²) to the change in its electrical energy (QΔV). This is possible because the kinetic energy of the electron is directly related to its velocity (v) and mass (m), while the change in electrical energy is related to the charge of the electron (Q) and the voltage difference (ΔV) it is moving through.

So, by setting these two forms of energy equal to each other, you can solve for the velocity of the electron (v) by rearranging the equation:

v = √2QΔV/m

I hope this explanation helps clarify why these equations can be combined and how to use them to find the velocity of an electron. It's important to understand the physical principles behind the equations in order to properly apply them in your calculations. Good luck with your research!

1. What is the equation for finding the velocity of an electron?

The equation for finding the velocity of an electron is v = (2KE/m)1/2, where v is velocity, KE is kinetic energy, and m is the mass of the electron.

2. How do you determine the kinetic energy of an electron?

The kinetic energy of an electron can be determined using the equation KE = (1/2)mv2, where KE is kinetic energy, m is the mass of the electron, and v is the velocity.

3. Can the mass of an electron be changed?

No, the mass of an electron is a constant value and cannot be changed.

4. What is the unit of measurement for velocity of an electron?

The unit of measurement for velocity of an electron is meters per second (m/s).

5. How is the equation for finding the velocity of an electron derived?

The equation for finding the velocity of an electron is derived from the principles of classical mechanics and the laws of motion, specifically the equation for kinetic energy. It takes into account the mass and velocity of the electron to determine its overall velocity.