Protein Synthesis: Understanding Its Role in Gene Expression

In summary: The summary paragraph I wrote is as follows: Protein synthesis is the process by which a gene's information is turned into proteins, and is fundamental to who we are. The process is facilitated by messenger RNA strands, which transcribe the DNA code for one gene length, and then pass through a pore in the nuclear membrane and into the cytoplasm. Once in the cytoplasm, the mRNA creates polypeptide chains with the help of ribosomes. The order of the nucleotides in the DNA chain determines the order of nucleuotides in the RNA and this determines the order of aminoacids in the protein.
napria
I need to write a summary paragraph on Protein Synthesis. So far, this is what I have written:

The purpose of protein synthesis in gene expression is fundamental to who we are. DNA within a cell codes for protein synthesis. This protein synthesis is facilitated by messenger RNA strands, which transcribe the DNA code for one gene length, and then passes through a pore in the nuclear membrane and into the cytoplasm. Once in the cytoplasm, the mRNA creates polypeptide chains with the help of ribosomes. These polypeptide chains are simply proteins made out of amino acids. Depending on the sequence and types of amino acids in the polypeptide chains, different proteins will be formed that will cause the cells to form different structures.

Is this all correct? I'm gathering my information from many different sources, biology is not my major, and it's been YEARS since I've had a biology class. I'm not sure that everything I've written is correct. Please help.

Thanks.

Biology news on Phys.org
napria said:
The purpose of protein synthesis in gene expression is fundamental to who we are. DNA within a cell codes for protein synthesis.

A gene is part of the DNA strings that can be found in ech cell's nucleus, the gene is a code for how to build a protein, that is it encodes the order of the amino acids. The proteins in turn can have one of several function in an organims, and so determines partly what the organism is.

napria said:
This protein synthesis is facilitated by messenger RNA strands, which transcribe the DNA code for one gene length, and then passes through a pore in the nuclear membrane and into the cytoplasm. Once in the cytoplasm, the mRNA creates polypeptide chains with the help of ribosomes.

The actual procces that makes the proteins is consists of two steps. The first step is called transcription, in this step the DNA is transcribed to RNA. The second step is called translation, in this step the RNA is translated to a protein. Transcription takes place within the cell's nucleus, translation takes place in the cytoplasma with the help of ribosomes.

napria said:
These polypeptide chains are simply proteins made out of amino acids. Depending on the sequence and types of amino acids in the polypeptide chains, different proteins will be formed that will cause the cells to form different structures.

A protein is a chain of amino acids joined by so-called pepetide bonds. Parts of a protein or a whole protein is often called a polypeptide. The order of the nucleotides in the DNA chain determines the order of nucleuotides in the RNA and this determines the order of aminoacids in the protein. So the different order of the nucleotides in the different genes makes them code for different proteins.

Thank you for the help. I appreciate the distinctions you pointed out.

1. What is protein synthesis and why is it important?

Protein synthesis is the process by which cells create proteins using the instructions encoded in DNA. It is important because proteins are essential for many cellular functions, including structural support, enzymatic reactions, and cell signaling.

2. How does protein synthesis occur?

Protein synthesis occurs in two main stages: transcription and translation. During transcription, the DNA sequence is copied into messenger RNA (mRNA). In translation, the mRNA travels to the ribosomes where it is used as a template to assemble amino acids into a polypeptide chain, which then folds into a functional protein.

3. What is the role of gene expression in protein synthesis?

Gene expression is the process by which the information in a gene is used to create a functional gene product, such as a protein. Protein synthesis is one of the key steps in gene expression, as it involves transcribing and translating the genetic information into a protein product.

4. How does protein synthesis relate to genetics and inherited traits?

Protein synthesis is influenced by genetics, as the sequence of nucleotides in DNA determines the sequence of amino acids in a protein. This, in turn, can affect the structure and function of the protein, which can impact an organism's traits and characteristics.

5. What are some factors that can affect protein synthesis?

Several factors can influence protein synthesis, including the availability of nucleotides and amino acids, the activity of enzymes involved in the process, and external stimuli such as stress or changes in the environment. Mutations in the DNA sequence can also alter the protein produced and affect protein synthesis.