When water is boiled, and the dissolved oxygen that was in the water

In summary: So the entropy would decrease when the gas is dissolved?Good... So the entropy would decrease when the gas is dissolved?Yes, entropy always increases when two pure substances are mixed together.Yes, entropy always increases when two pure substances are mixed together.
jools111
When water is boiled, and the dissolved oxygen that was in the water escapes, why does this raise the entropy of the system? The O2 gas has a higher entropy than the H20, so when it departs the liquid, shouldn't the entropy decrease as the gas is no longer present? Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org

How are you defining your system?

Mapes said:
How are you defining your system?

H20(l) + Heat ---> H20(g), in an open system. Is that what you're asking? Thanks.

Last edited:

If the system includes both the water and the adjacent gas, I don't see a problem with entropy decreasing in one region as long as the increase in the adjacent region is at least as large.

Mapes said:
If the system includes both the water and the adjacent gas, I don't see a problem with entropy decreasing in one region as long as the increase in the adjacent region is at least as large.

But with a portion of the dissolved oxygen escaped into the atmosphere, shouldn't the H20(l) that is was dissolved in now have a lower entropy, as gas has escaped?

As long as the total entropy of the universe increases, there is no problem.

espen180 said:
As long as the total entropy of the universe increases, there is no problem.

Thanks for the replies. I think I might be asking my question wrong. Let's look at it from the other end. O2(g) has a higher entropy than H2O(l), so how come when O2(g) is dissolved into water, the entropy decreases. Should it not go up, as O2(g) contributes a higher entropy to the reaction?

jools111 said:
...how come when O2(g) is dissolved into water, the entropy decreases.

I don't believe it does. Entropy will always increase when two pure substances are mixed together.

Mapes said:
I don't believe it does. Entropy will always increase when two pure substances are mixed together.

That's what I thought as well. My text is telling me otherwise though.

If you'd like to relay what the text says, you'll likely get helpful comments. Please include as much as possible so the context is clear.

Mapes said:
If you'd like to relay what the text says, you'll likely get helpful comments. Please include as much as possible so the context is clear.

"Large negative values for (delta)H and large positive values for (delta)S are associated with high solubilities. This is consistent with the observation tat acetone and chloroform are completely miscible"

Also, when decribing the effect of a carbonated soda bottle being opened:

"Entropy increases, since the dissolved gas is allowed to escape, creating a more random condition."

It's a little confusing to me...

jools111 said:
"Large negative values for (delta)H and large positive values for (delta)S are associated with high solubilities.

The [itex]\Delta S[/itex] here is for the dissolution process itself, not the entropy of either of the constituents.

jools111 said:
"Entropy increases, since the dissolved gas is allowed to escape, creating a more random condition."

Total entropy increases, even though the entropy of the liquid decreases because of the departure of (some, not all of) the gas. The gas escapes until its partial pressure in the liquid equals its partial pressure above the liquid. At that point, the entropy benefit of escaping into the atmosphere exactly equals the entropy penalty of no longer being dissolved in the liquid. Does this make sense?

Mapes said:
The [itex]\Delta S[/itex] here is for the dissolution process itself, not the entropy of either of the constituents.

Total entropy increases, even though the entropy of the liquid decreases because of the departure of (some, not all of) the gas. The gas escapes until its partial pressure in the liquid equals its partial pressure above the liquid. At that point, the entropy benefit of escaping into the atmosphere exactly equals the entropy penalty of no longer being dissolved in the liquid. Does this make sense?

It does... But with it being an open system, it not the entropy of the liquid the only factor we would be concerned with? (In reference the soda bottle)

jools111 said:
It does... But with it being an open system, it not the entropy of the liquid the only factor we would be concerned with? (In reference the soda bottle)

We have to consider all possible changes in entropy, everywhere, when predicting whether a process will be spontaneous or not.

Mapes said:
We have to consider all possible changes in entropy, everywhere, when predicting whether a process will be spontaneous or not.

Ok. Thanks for your help!

Remember that the entropy tells you whether your system is in disorder or not.

If initially you had molecules of O2 and H2O (having no interaction at all), you could say that it tends to a bigger disorder than having molecules of O2 and H2O together. As they are working now like one only molecule, thus decreasing the disorder of the system.

Good Luck

1. What happens to the dissolved oxygen when water is boiled?

When water is boiled, the dissolved oxygen in the water is released into the air as a gas. This is because the boiling process causes the water molecules to move faster and creates bubbles, allowing the oxygen to escape.

2. Does boiling water remove all the dissolved oxygen?

No, boiling water does not remove all the dissolved oxygen. Some oxygen may still remain in the water after boiling, depending on factors such as the initial oxygen concentration and the duration and intensity of the boiling process.

3. Why is dissolved oxygen important in water?

Dissolved oxygen is important in water because it is essential for aquatic life to survive. Fish and other aquatic organisms use dissolved oxygen for respiration, and a lack of oxygen can lead to the death of these organisms.

4. Can boiling water increase the amount of dissolved oxygen?

No, boiling water cannot increase the amount of dissolved oxygen. In fact, boiling water can decrease the amount of dissolved oxygen as it causes the oxygen to escape into the air.

5. How does the amount of dissolved oxygen in water affect its taste and smell?

The amount of dissolved oxygen in water can greatly affect its taste and smell. Water with higher levels of dissolved oxygen tends to have a fresher and more pleasant taste and smell, while water with lower levels of oxygen can have a flat or stale taste and smell.