Why Can't a Windmill Be Powered by Magnets?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of perpetual motion using magnets and the belief that it is not possible due to the laws of physics. The person has tried various methods, including "dynamic shielding", but none have been successful. It is mentioned that if perpetual motion were possible, it would have saved the world's energy problems. The use of elastic cords is suggested as a way to better understand the limitations of using magnets for perpetual motion.
shuang
I know it can't work but can someone explain why?

The U thingys are the magnet. So the magnet attracts the fan and it keep moving.

Attachments

• Magnet.png
    Magnet.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 887
Physics news on Phys.org
Newtons second law: If the magnet attracts the fan, the fan attracts the magnet

Tried it...

The fact is I've tried many possibilities attempting perpetual motion with magnets, I even tried 'dynamic shielding' - where the magnetic field would be shielded at designed intervals.

None worked. I've also tried many other perpetual concepts, some mine, and some from others, none worked.

Perpetual machines won't work, if they do, they are probably tapping from the background radiation of the universe or any ambient energy potential. Energy can't be created, it's always been around, you just figure out how to tap them! And I don't think it's that simple.

Sorry, double post. must have clicked thrice due to lag :(

Last edited:
sorry, double post. must have clicked twice due to lag

Although +1 for the effort and deciding to share. If only Universal laws are different and your concept worked, (which will not in our reality). You would have saved our energy problems by sharing it in such a very simple device that can be easily DIY'ed. Money-centric, greedy corporations if they had such idea instead, would have probably kept it secret, or made it too complicated, or incredibly expensive!

Last edited:
When dealing with magnets, it is sometimes more intuitive to mentally replace the magnets with elastic cords (bungee cords). It should be clear why that design wouldn't work with elastic cords pulling in the same way as the magnets are.

What is a windmill powered by magnets?

A windmill powered by magnets is a type of renewable energy technology that uses magnets to generate electricity from wind power. The magnets are mounted on the blades of the windmill and interact with magnetic coils in the base of the windmill, creating a rotating motion that generates electricity.

How does a windmill powered by magnets work?

A windmill powered by magnets works by harnessing the energy from the wind. As the wind blows, it causes the blades of the windmill to rotate. The magnets on the blades interact with the magnetic coils in the base of the windmill, creating a rotating motion. This motion generates electricity, which can be used to power homes and businesses.

What are the advantages of using a windmill powered by magnets?

There are several advantages to using a windmill powered by magnets. Firstly, it is a renewable source of energy, meaning it does not contribute to climate change. It also does not produce any air or water pollution. Additionally, wind is free and abundant, making it a cost-effective option for generating electricity.

Are there any limitations to using a windmill powered by magnets?

While there are many benefits to using a windmill powered by magnets, there are also some limitations. Wind power is not constant, so the amount of electricity generated may fluctuate depending on wind conditions. This can make it difficult to rely on as a sole source of electricity, and it may need to be supplemented with other forms of energy.

How does a windmill powered by magnets compare to other renewable energy sources?

A windmill powered by magnets is just one of many types of renewable energy sources. Compared to other sources such as solar or hydro power, wind power is generally more cost-effective and has a smaller impact on the environment. However, the suitability of each type of renewable energy depends on factors such as location, available resources, and energy needs.